Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Interview with hagalaz of streben.done by patrick

here is a interview done with italy's melodic black metal band streben.streben are a fairly new band to the scene but have already made quite an impact with their debut demo "of melancholic elegies and wanderlust".the band is now hard at work on finishing up their debut full-length to hopefully be released later this year {no date has been given yet} so keep your eyes open for the new dark masterpiece.

Interview with Hagalaz vocalist, bass and synths for Streben, done by Patrick.


1.
Metal hails my friend!! How is life treating you this week? Please tell the readers a little about yourself?

Hello, Patrick! I am doing fine, thanks.
I don't know what I could say about myself, is it okay if I say that I had rice at lunch today?


2. At what age did you become interested in playing music? You are vocalist, and play bass synths for Streben.
Besides these instruments do you play any other instruments? If yes which ones?

I've always been interested in music since I was a child. It has always been my greatest interest. Well, I used to play guitar since I was about 8-9 years old up to a couple of years ago, but I stopped for several reasons. But, beside this, I haven't any other experience with other musical instruments.


3.
When did you first get the idea to form/create Streben? What is the "current" line-up? For the readers who have never heard the band how would you describe the band's sound?

Making music has always been my greatest wish since I can remember; the exigence of creating a personal project where to voice my own world has been ripening over the years within my mind, even if I had to wait before I finally met the right persons to share this plan. The current line - up features me (of course!), and Valker as guitarist. We also have a guest on drums, which is Dark Shadow (also in Cold Empire with Valker), and we'll soon annunce the identity of the session musician that is recording acoustic guitars for us in our upcoming debut full - lenght.


4. You recently sent me the band's debut demo "... of Melancholic Elegies and Wanderlust".
How long did it take to write and record the tracks for the demo? Are you happy with how it came out? Do you have a personal favorite track from the demo?

The making of our first demo took a very short time because we were excited, and impatient; we did everything hurriedly and instinctively, I wrote the music and the lyrics in a very short time, and we recorded it all as hastily. We were very satisfied with that demo right after its release, but we conspicuously revalued it, I think that's pretty normal. My favourite song from "... of Melancholic Elegies and Wanderlust" is "In the Woods of the Satyr".


5.
How has the response been from the underground press and fans? Do you all have any demo's left for sale or trade?

"... of Melancholic Elegies and Wanderlust" actually got many positive opinions from both underground press and listeners (and I still can't believe how could it have been possible, ah ah), in fact it is now sold - out, so there aren't any copies left, not for sale, nor for trades.

6. I know the band has been hard at work writing new material for the debut full-length.
How many songs have you all finished for the new release? How long does it usually take you to finish a song once you begin writing?

The songs on our new release, which will be a full - lenght album, will be seven: four of them are brand new, and three are old songs from the demo which have been re-adapted by me. The duration of the songwriting process varies according to my mood and inspiration; anyway, it took some more time for the songs of the upcoming album, which have been more pondered than the older songs.

7. How would you say the new tracks for the full-length are different than the songs on the demo "... of Melancholic Elegies and Wanderlust"?
... Totally different! I prefer not to talk too much about it, because the readers of this interview still coudn't confute the truthfulness of my words, and that wouldn't be fair. But I can tell you that the new songs are even more personal and display my own feelings and emotions better than the old ones did.

8. Streben is a 2-person band with a session-drummer for recording purposes.
But are you 2 currently looking for new members to perform live performances or do you prefer to keep streben a studio-only project?

The second one. I prefer keeping Streben a studio project, first of all because I don't think that its introspective characterization may fit the live dimension, and also because I'm not interested in recruiting strangers or people I don't esteem, just to perform a live gig, that's not worth it.

9. If you had the chance to work/record with any musicians past or present. Who are some musicans you would like to work with? And why.
Oh man, there are so many! The first one that comes in my mind is Neige from Alcest, even if this will always remain unattainable because such artist would never waste his time with me. There are many other musicians I admire and esteem and almost love, ha ha, but I find his ideas and concepts he spreads with his project are interesting and somehow attinent to mine.


10. Do you or Valker {guitars} play in any other bands or have side-projects? If yes please tell us a little about them.
Valker also plays in Cold Empire with Dark Shadow; Cold Empire are a raw melodic black metal band, they released a demo in summer 2007 and they're currently working on their debut album. As for me, Streben is my only project.


11.You come from the Italian metal underground.
What is your opinion of Italy's metal scene? Who are some of your all-time favorite italian metal bands? Are there any new bands the undergroud readers should watch out for?

I'm not an assiduous underground's follower, so I'm not very informed about foreign or local underground bands, but I like Vultur and Fearbringer's works very much.


12. Well my friend thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview.
Do you have any final words for the readers of Winter Torment?

Thank YOU for the interview, and, of course, thanks to all of you readers.
Cheers!


band contact
http://www.myspace.com/strebenband
streben's street team
http://www.myspace.com/strebenusastreetteam