Wednesday, May 7, 2014

serbian metal scene feature interviews kozeljnik and shadowdream plg 2.

here is the 2nd blog/page of my serbian metal report the two bands featured this time are. kozeljnik a band that mixes in fast,aggressive black metal but also has a certain dark atmosphere entertwined.the band's new cd "deeper the fall" is now availble through the u.s label paragon records.
the final interview is with the great shadowdream! ambient/expiremental metal band.the band mixes in horror movie soundtrack ambience and expiremental sounds for a very unique and interesting sound.
hope you all enjoy the interviews,
best regards
patrick and winter torment web-zine
http://www.wintertorment.com

Interview with L.G., drummer for Kozeljnik / done by Patrick

1. Hails my friend!! How are things going in Serbia this week? Please tell the readers a little about yourself.
Well, I'm currently out of Serbia so I wouldn't know much, but in general, same old same old..
Me, myself and I is the drummer of BM bands Kozeljnik, The Stone, May Result and Dead Shell Of Universe, all of which are currently active and have some or plenty of releases under their skin. Music and ancient Kozeljnik devilry are the themes my dreams and living conscious deal with. I'm separated from the fokken Earth, yet still I dwell deep in its core, amidst the flames and woe, above and beneath...

2. When did you first discover metal? Who were some of the first bands to catch your attention? Who are some of your "current" favorite bands?
I'll admit, at very young age. My older sister used to be with her whole being into bands like Black Sabbath, Metallica, later Alice in Chains etc.. all of which are one my favourites up to this day. So I followed "blindly" her passion for this kind of music when I was just a freakin' child, so this later evolved into a really serious, life-meaningful thing. I also look for plenty of bands aside metal music, but some of my favourites in this type would include: Slayer, King Diamond, Craft, The Chasm, Enslaved, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Sadus, Pantera, Absu, Runemagick, Unearthly Trance, Darkthrone, Code, Death, Aeternus, Root, W.A.S.P... there's a whole lot more, but I'll stop in order to save you a little bit of space here.

3. When did you and Kozeljnik (vocalist, guitars) meet? Was it long after you both decided to form Kozeljnik? For the readers who have not heard the band before how would you describe the music?
You mean 'before' we formed Kozeljnik. Sure, I knew his bands way before we even met, but officially our friendship/brotherhood goes from the end of 2002, or beginning of '03. Kozeljnik was formed in 2006. Dark and Morbid BM art in its basics, but we tend to push the limits quite often and quite hard. Check out our most recent state of mind, revealed in an album called "Deeper the Fall" that just got released through NY-based Paragon Records.

4. Kozeljnik is just the two of you. Have u guys thought of adding more members for a full-studio band or do you prefer to work as a duo?
As an entity that Kozeljnik represents, we're always gonna be a two-piece devilcraft. On our live performances, we always add some more people to hail this ritual with us and only those whom we trust deeply. As for the studio efforts, so far all of 'em were made by the two of us, yet we may have some guest(s) in the future, that's if we feel like embracing some different kind of energy in the very moment and let it become one with ours.

5. If you personally had the opportunity to work/write with any musicians past or present who would you like to work with?
I'd definitely like to work/share/co-operate/get lost and again get back-on-the-track with f.e.: Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde, Blasphemer, Mike Patton, Dimebag Darrell, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, James Hetfield, Jerry Cantrell, King Diamond/Andy LaRocque/Hank Shermann, Les Claypool, Ozzy, Peter Steele, Ivar Bjørnson, James Murphy, Milan Mladenovic/EKV.. just to mention those few I adore.

6. The band recently released it's second CD "Deeper the Fall" through the US label Paragon Records. How long did it take you both to write/record the songs for "Deeper the Fall"?
We've been working on it for a few months, all of it came strictly on our studio sessions. We just lock ourselves, let all of our internal and the spheres beyond show them faces to us, afterwards we channel them and shape in a way that suits our Will at the moment. That's how this album appeared to be made and that's pretty much the way Kozeljnik breathes for us and us for him.

7. Are you happy with how the music/songs turned out? How has response been from the fans and press?
We are, we are indeed. So far, reviews posted all around the web and ones we got from some magazines have been really in-depth and you can easily see who figured out his/her own way with "Deeper the Fall". We need people to dive into our art, to experience, to expand... I see no worth in having positive, negative or comments made by people with lack of interest & dedication. I want those who are capable of understanding this kind of art, who are willing to share themselves with what we and other of our kind have to offer.. beyond, just go beyond and let go off all that you thought you possess and embrace the Unknown.

8. As mentioned Kozeljnik signed with Paragon Records. How did you come into contact with the label? Do you find it hard to work with a label in a different country?
Not at all, all the bands run by K. and me are involved with labels from abroad. So far, co-operation with Paragon seems quite nice, they were one of the most attractive labels to us because of their chief's interesting choice of bands and huge effort that he and his comrades involve in order to support them. So, we gave it a try, sent out a rehearsal with some new songs and got the deal. We're pleased with the outcome.

9. Kozeljnik are a two-man band in the studio but I have read on the band's sites: you use some session members for live shows. Please introduce the session members. How often does Kozeljnik play live? Do you enjoy playing live or do you prefer studio-work only?
Yup, as mentioned earlier, we have men helping us on stage, them being: Demonetras, guitarist for The Stone, very important figure in our live performance, Dusan of May Result, who's handling second guitar and most recently, our new bass player Tibor (of Hungarian band Neochrome). This is the live-formation of Kozeljnik. We tend to play live whenever we have the opportunity, expect some mini-tour to be arranged at the beginning of the next year. European part for now.

10. You are a part of Serbia's black metal underground. For the readers unfamilar with Serbia's metal scene, what is your opinion on the scene there?
I'm not at all pleased with the situation in our homeland, there's no bands, no gigs, media, no real people supporting this thing.. we always look for the outside shows, contacts and cooperation with people in other countries. Unfortunate, perhaps, but this is the way we've been doing like for years now... there's some glimpses and flashes on times and I really hope some of the worthy people I know from around will make it big, or at least visible in the near future. But again, I'm silent and observing to that.

11. Who are your all-time favorite Serbian metal bands? Are there any new bands the readers should keep their eyes open for?
It's pointless to mention any, really. They either last for few years and make something bearable or not at all worth mentioning, or they simply vanish after the idea of having a band is put on table. No favorites, sorry. Do check out our work with The Stone, May Result, Dead Shell of Universe and stretch your eye into direction of the following acts (it may worth your while, after all): Disdained, Consecration, Space Eater, Heretical Guilt, dreDDup (more industrial psychotic groove than metal, but still, vicious), Vehementer, Zaklan; some of the older ones: Bloodbath, Heller, Bombarder (Bosnian ancient hellish outfit).

12. Speaking of Serbia's metal scene Kozeljnik and yourself are part of the mighty Serbian bands "The Stone" and "May Result". When did you guys form/join these bands? How would you say The Stone's and May Result music is different from Kozeljnik's?
Both of these bands have been there from mid 90's and are very active with both studio and live performances. K. has been there from the start and I joined them in '07, just a year after we started out with Kozeljnik. Well, music and approach differ a lot, anyone can tell that just by having either one of those bands' albums and will to observe & compare them. If you're into blasphemous, not-typical, well played and on occasion brutal black metal, do check out The Stone. We have new album "Umro" and have recently returned from 1-month European tour with Romanian band Negura Bunget. May Result, on the other hand, is an old-school black metal of Death, having 4 albums behind and has played some of the bigger UG festivals in Europe in past decade.

13. Everyone has their own idea on what black metal means/stands for so I was curious of your opinion. In your opinion what does "black metal" mean to you?
Everything and Nothing, the idea of flame consuming all, the idea of earth unfolding its true face - Reversal of the known, the great destroyer and wisdom bringer. BM as we know it keeps expanding every second and is an art completely out of control. That's what puts a grim smile on my face every time I confront my reality. It gives all and vanishes as if it never was there. Weird and strange, yet present and constantly intriguing. Fucking sick, at last...

14. You handle the drums for Kozeljnik and I would like to compliment you on the amazing drum work you did on "Deeper the Fall" some of the best black metal drumming I've heard in years. When did you first become interested in playing drums? Are you self-taught or have you had lessons in the past?
Thank you for your compliments, I really appreciate it. Yup, I finished high-school of music, classical percussion department, but I'm pretty much a self-taught drummer. I always tend to embrace as many styles as possible, hear and listen a lot of same and different musicians every day, all the time, think & learn this craft.. that's how it goes for me. Can't really remember when was the first time I took such an interest in actually playing this instrument, but I think it was always present in my life. Always been there.

15. Who would you say are some of your influences/favorite drummers? Do you play any other instruments?
Some of my all time favorites include Mikkey Dee, Paul Bostaph, Fenriz, Bill Ward, Sean Kinney, Proscriptor McGovern, Vinnie Paul, Tim Alexander, Pete Sandoval, Hellhammer, Donald Tardy, Dave Lombardo, Mike Bordin; Dave Weckl, Stewart Copeland, Buddy Rich, Jonathan Moffet, Matt Abts, Jeff Porcaro, Chad Smith.. a bunch of them really, just too many to mention. I also play piano a little bit.

16. Well my friend we have reached the end of the interview. I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview. Do you have any final comments for the readers?
Thanx so much for doing this wonderful interview, thank you for your support and interest in me, Kozeljnik and the Devil that speaks within. Take care and keep up the good work..
To the true observers of the horde: Deeper the Fall is dedicated to you. May you find yourself.


Interview with rastako,all instruments for shadowdream,done by patrick

1.hello rastako! how is your week starting out? please tell the readers a little about yourself.

Hello my friend, thanks for asking it’s quite well, but little bit chaotic. As for second part of question, I am author of music project Shadowdream, educated in cinematography, music theory and violin, as well as amateur astronomer.

2.when did you first become interested in playing music? what were some of the first instruments you learned to play?

Since first days in music school, when I began playing violin at the age of 6, I was discovering this magnificent dimension of artistic expression called classical music, which can add little bit more drama to already established visual art presentations in vein of sculpture, painting or, for that meter, cinematography (horror, suspense movies would not exist by today’s standards without alteration of picture with sound/music). Of course, when I sensed Art as autochthonous entity, as alteration of life and life on its own, I began to discover different ways of music expression via different musical instruments, so after violin I started to learn flute and piano, and in my free time guitar. I explored total diversities of musical techniques therefore widening my own musical knowledge and appreciation. Every form of Art presents individuality, which is proven in greatest period of Renaissance, where secular knowledge and individualism flourished.

3.which instrument do you feel was the easiest for you to learn? which was the hardest for you to learn? is their any instrument you have not learned to play yet that you would like to

I cannot really determine which instrument or technique was easiest or hardest to learn, since I learned all of them by heart, all I can appreciate is which one is more interesting than the other. As for some new instruments, I would really like to feel the power of church organs as well as to play harpsichord and some woodwind instruments – clarinet, Cor anglais, oboe…

4.when did you get the idea to create "shadowdream"? how did you come up with the name for this project/band? for the readers who have not heard shadowdream.how would you describe the music you create?

Concept and idea to form Shadowdream came gradually, during my wondering to great realm of Art. I felt a need to express my inner world with words of different language – one which alters life and expresses mine emotions. As for name, I feel
....
that any Artist should work by his intuition, which is in most cases dark and unpleasant, therefore I woken up this inner state and called it Shadowdream, which reflects that hidden world of dreams (what we are and who we might be) under the veil of dark shadows. My music is basically part of Program music style, which means it is cohesive with imaginary – your own personification or something you already have materialized. So, I can say it is widening imagination, it is reflection of, somehow, postmodern period, where Art was created only for people who understand Art and enjoy it, it is conspiracy against plain people. It is music for intelligent humans and not for the masses, so don’t expect some trendy, decadent tunes. But, at the end, let the last judgment on my music be told by person who listens to it!

5.you recently sent me your newest cd "part of the infinity". how long did it take you to write the songs for this release? are you happy with how the songs turned out?

The creative part took around one year of time and it was triggered by unimaginable greatness of science of Astronomy. I was intrigued by theoretical, physical laws and representations of celestial objects, but when I looked trough the eye of my telescope, the things I saw were movement, shape, somewhat color, so I decided to add a new, sound dimension and immediately started to write “Part of…” which is rather my personal vision of something men observed for centuries – great cosmic ballet. Until this moment, I am very pleased with final product and representation of my impressions.

6.how has response been from the fans and press?

Fan and press response was great, I must admit. It was discussed by Astronomers on “A brief voyage trough our universe” lecture and was part of astronomical lectures in local observatory for some time, so I guess secular people are very intrigued by another vision of science – Artistic.

7.i believe you told me you have been busy writing songs for the next shadowdream release.how is this going? do you know how many songs will be featured on this release? do you have a release date set or planned? how do you feel the new music is different from your past work?

Thank you for asking, the album is finished. As in my previous works, I like to explore different spheres of knowledge, so every opus is very different from the previous one, therefore this one, as representation of my deep admiration towards renaissance period, is somewhat my greatest success – it’s symbiosis of modern anti-decadent mind with renaissance Art and the final product trying to infiltrate greatest ideas of all time in modern society. Opus is composed from eight

.... compositions and it is already out on tape format (Depressive Illusions Records), with CD release on different label being set during this forthcoming winter.

8.i believe i saw your sites that besides shadowdream,you have also composed for some movie soundtracks.is this correct? what are some of the movies you have written music for?

Indirectly my music was used as soundtrack for some of movies on Academy of Arts; they were mainly student music, so I guess it was an act of altruism, ha ha. However, some rather serious film productions have asked me for contribution, so I will eventually see how that turns out.
9.i also saw on your site a banner for the church of satan. would you consider youself a satanist? when did you first start reading/studying anton lavey's writings?

By philosophical views I do consider myself as Satanist and do agree with most of the philosophy written by LaVey. Satanism, as philosophy, has that dark aura around it, that is why most people don’t won’t to approach it and “cross the line” of yet undiscovered, but the other side of the mirror tells different story – realistic. I do not find myself depending on some artificial being, rather find mythology (religion by some means) as quite unique approach, from psychological point of view, to incomplete personality and, of course, find these stories as good belles-lettres, which can discover to us some hidden thoughts from times in the past. Satanism presents personal responsibility, since we do not have any higher being to be our lawyer.

10.besides anton lavey and the church of satan do you study/follow any other satanic/occult writers?

I had chance to read some occult books, which dealt mostly on theological approach to Satanism or/and wider occultism - I don’t find that as relevant for my ideas, rather enjoyable belles-lettres. Recently I have red, when it comes to occult associated literature, book “The Devil” by Italian writer Alfonso M. di Nola, which is chronological look at devil’s usage by various cultures from certain points of time, so I found that, from anthropological and historical point of view interesting.
11.besides occult/satanic writers are their any other philiosphers you study? do you have a certain kind of philosophy you try to live by?

I do have my own philosophy, which is mainly directed towards Art, Science and depicting decadence, as well as some codex of living – I have collected my own impressions and thoughts, which will be released online, or maybe with some future



....
album, I still haven’t decided, but you will be able to read my works and take a peak inside my “philosophy”.

12.coming back to music you come out of the serbian metal underground. what is your opinion of serbia's metal underground?

My honest opinion is that there is problem of quantity against quality. There is lot of envy among people, like everywhere else, but I do think that people in, let’s call them, socially aware countries, look their own business and way to “success”, rather than doing stagnation and the “evil eyes” on those who do not find themselves positively progressing. It’s easier to be better than average, than better than best. As for some established bands, who resisted this place and time, and still are productive I do support them and their work and feel they are representatives of real, creative Serbian metal scene.

13.who are some of your all-time favorite serbian metal bands? are their any new upcoming bands you think the readers should watch out for?

As I really don’t have all-time favorite amongst Serbian metal bands, I will mention those who I truly respect and see as relevant to be part of something called “scene”. Names such as May Result, The Stone, of course “new blood” on the scene in vein of Ancient Sorrow, Bane, Vehementer and, unfortunately disbanded Disdained, with great respect toward primal nucleus of Serbian metal in vein of Bombarder, Necrophiliacs Terror, Murder etc.

14.besides shadowdream do you currently work or play with any other bands? if yes please tell the readers a little about them.

Actually, I am second member of black metal band Ancient Sorrow. It is straightforward black metal, taking it’s inspiration from primordial Scandinavian scene, along with emphasized orchestral parts. New material is soon to be presented in underground publicity.


15.well my friend we have reached the end of the interview.thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview.do you have any final comments for the readers?

Thank you very much, my friend, for interesting and dynamic questions, it was pleasure answering them. Enjoy art, because art provides the answer to what cannot be answered!

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/winter_torment/blog#ixzz0xP5e9DnD