Monday, May 26, 2014

Interview With Prayer Of The Dying done by Patrick on 5-26-14

Greetings  here is a new  interview  with  a good  friend  and  band  from  Malta  Prayer Of The  Dying. Main man  of  this band Martin   ciappara   has doen  a great job  of writing excellent blackend death with traces   of  other  metal  influences 
Regards
Patrick






Interview with Martin Ciappara of Prayer Of The  Dying done by Patrick   





1. Hails brother!! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. Please tell the   readers a little about yourself.



You’re  welcome my friend and thank you for your time. Well hmmmm! something about me. I am a very simple man who lives for my family and music. I don’t really care about anything else.





2. At what age did you first become interested in playing music? What was the first instrument you learned to play? Did you take lessons for the instruments or are you self taught? 




I think I was 10 when I got into music. I started learning guitar during religion lessons and funnily enough I started playing in churches heheheh. I learnt some chords  and some fucking hallelujah. But it was a start. I never took lessons, no, so the few things I know I learnt them on my own. And then I heard a guy playing drums and he let me try, and it was like a shock for me. I said this is my fucking thing man.


3. Are there any instruments  that you haven't learned to play  yet but you  want to ? 


Oh yes I would like to know how to play all the instruments in this world. But the most I would like to learn is the piano.







 4. Prayer Of The Dying is your main band that you have been working on for quite a few  years now. When did you get the idea to form Prayer Of The  Dying? How did you come up with the name for this project/band?


Prayer of the Dying was more or less always on my mind. But I never had the chance and the right people to do it with. And that is one of the reasons that Prayer is a one man band. It’s more personal like this, and I can do whatever I want. The idea came… I actually don’t remember where the name came from. But what it means to me is that, we have already started dying as soon as we are born. Sooner or later each one of us will beg his god to have mercy on him and not to let him suffer or die in this life. So this prayer belongs to each and every one of us.






5.For the  readers who have never heard the  band’s music how would you describe  the music of Prayer Of The Dying?

A lot of people say that this is a mixture of Black, Death and Doom. Well, I think they are right. But I actually write depending on what my mood is, at that particular moment, and what comes out comes out.







6.Martin you recently  released the bands new   cd  "Gods Failed Creation"  how long did  it  take you to write  the  songs for  this  release? How has  the  response been from the  fans  and the  press?


I am not sure, but I think it took me a year, more or less. However, I wasn’t working full time on the album. I had a lot more stuff to do, outside of Prayer of the Dying. The feedback was really great and I had a lot of good reviews so I can’t complain.






7.I  noticed on the  new cd you  had some  guest musicions  on Gods Failed Creation?  Is this your  first  time working with them?  Please introduce them to the  readers?



Yes, it’s the first time with most of them. There’s Daniel Bezzina who is the producer of this album. Daniel Bartolo, Patrik Carlsson from Anachronaeon, Elton Falzon from Thy Legion,  Simon Dimech -I worked with him before, I think he is in all Prayer o f the Dying’s releases. Jacobo Cordova from Majestic Downfall,  Atilla Kabak from Black Vulture, Richard Schierer from Dying Messiah, William Cauchi, Zatanic Tony Sundstrand from Demorian and Drifa Sigurdardottir. I would like to thank all of them, for the dedication shown on this album.



8.If you had the opportunity to  work with  any musicians [past or  present]  who would you  love to work with?


Man trust me, I worked with a lot of musicians in my life. I really don’t know which one. But I can tell you, that the musician I mostly worked with, is definitely Atilla Kabak.




9.On Gods Failed Creation  their is a song called "The Desert Inside"   featuring  some  female vocals. Is this your time  using  female vocals? Do you plan to use them on the next Prayer Of The Dying release? 



It actually was my producer’s (Daniel Bezzina)’s idea. He told me he could imagine a female voice in that track. He told me he has a friend, Drifa Sigurdardottir so Daniel arranged everything, and she made it happen. That was the first time I used a female vocalist but I don’t think it will be the last.



10.Martin in your opinion   what does the  underground mean to you? 



Well man. One word Everything!


11.i mentioned earlier  that you had some guest musicians  play  on the new cd.Have you ever thought of finding some  new people to join Prayer Of The  Dying to do live shows or do you prefer to stay a solo act? 


Some people always ask me this question. Prayer of the Dying was born as a solo project and that’s the way it will die. As for  live shows, I want to be honest. It has sometimes come to my mind, but it usually passes in a few seconds. So I don’t think there will be any live shows.




12.What do you  feel  are the  advantges and disadvantges  to being  a one man   band? 


The advantages are way too much to mention hehe and as for disadvantages, there is only one – the money. In a band you split everything. Whether it’s for the release of an album or promotion etc etc. In a one man band, you have to pay everything yourself. And trust me it’s not fucking easy. Sales are not so good. I do not get to cover half of the expenses. I am not doing this for money of course, but if you cover at least 3/4 of the expenses it would be much easier. Music is like having another family, so I have 2. And with today’s wages it’s very hard.


13.Besides Prayer Of The Dying  you   also  play in a couple of other  bands   can you please give the   readers  some information   on these bands? 


Yes. I am the drummer of Black Vulture, Sarratum, Luciferian Blood and Lustre. Something new is coming up but I can’t say any more because we need to try first and see if it works. Sadly, Sarrum and I have recorded the last track as Sarratum. He has decided to stop the band and I respect his decision. After all, he is the creator of Sarratum. Black Vulture have a new album on the way. I hope we release this beast soon! And I am recording some new tracks with Luciferian Blood. I think that’s all heheee.


14.Where  can people  buy your cd's  and merchandise?  


Just send me a message on facebook or e-mail me on martinciappara@gmail.com


15.Well Martin we have come to the  end of  the interview thank you  again my friend  for  taking  the time  to fill this out. Do you have any final words for  the  readers?


Thanks to those who still believe in the underground. And of course those few sick followers of Prayer of the Dying.Cheers