Wednesday, May 7, 2014

interview with sententia mortis done by patrick.

hails!!!
here is a new interview i have done with the italian atmospheric-black metal band sententia mortis. this trio has a great debut demo called "mother earthquake" and is defintly a band fans of {old} emperor,{older} dimmu borgir and others like them in this amazing genre should check out.
the band is always looking for new web/fanzines and espically u.s labels and distro's so if you like what you hear please get in touch with the band asap!!1
best regards and enjoy!!
patrick and winter torment web-zine
http://www.myspace.com/winter_torment
httpL//www.friendburst.com/wintertorment/



Interview with Demon guitarist,keyboardist for sententia mortis done by patrick

1.hails Demon!! how are things in italy? please tell the readers a little about yourself?

Hi Patrick,thanks for this interview.
I'm a 30 y.o. guy fallen into dark many years ago, listening to many famous black metal bands from norway.
I decided to start playing an instrument at the age of 14, playing till today in many different bands.
In 2008 I created Sententia Mortis with the help of my long time friend Groeber (bass guitars) and this project is what we currently are workin' on.Italy is not properly the right country for black metal,but we are decided to kick some ass!!


2.when did you first start listening to metal? who were some of the first bands you listend to? who are some of your "current"
favorite bands?

When I was 13 or 14 years old I started to search for an aggressive kind of music (after 3 years of school with Queen and Scorpions albums), so I bought two albums I had never seen before...imagine that scene...in a shop searching for an aggressive Cover,ahahahah.Those two albums were The Principle Of Evil Made Flash (Cradle Of Filth) and South Of Heaven (Slayer).
Today I got many different favourite bands of different kind, but I think in particular Emperor for Black Metal and Hypocrisy for Death metal.I got like 600 cds of metal...so is not too easy to choose between them!


3.when did you guys form "sententia mortis"?how did you come up with the name of the band? does it have a special meaning?
what is "current" line-up? for the readers who have never heard the band how would you describe the music?

I formed the band in September 2008 with the help of Groeber, with a fixed direction to follow (musically talkin').
I thought about that name because it helps to understand more what we're trying to comunicate with our songs.
Current line-up is what you see on our pages on the web: Groeber on bass guitar, Mauron on vocals and me on keyboards and guitars.
Our music? Black metal in 90s style with keyboards.


4.the band recently released it debut demo cd "mother earthquake" .how long did it take the band to write and record songs for this release?
are you and the other members of sententia mortis happy with how it all came out? how has response been from the press and fans?

With the old line-up we really had many problems...there was no collaboration and someone liked to join the band only to play what I wrote, so many hours lost in discussions and we were always stopped waiting for other members parts of work that never arrived.
So after firing them in five months we finished our cd.1 year and half to write the ideas and like 5 months to finish all songs,recording,printing.
Of course we're very satisfied for our work, especially because is an home recording, so probably we've done all possible.
Many webzines and fans think is a good work and follow us on our portals every day.



5.has the band begun working on new music for the next release? if yes how many songs has the band completed? when you all begin working
on new song how long does it usually take to complete? does the whole band work on the music or does 1-2 members handle all the writing?

Yes, the band is workin' on new material...we started again in Semptember and now we got 5 songs ready to be recorded and many ideas for other songs coming up.
To complete a song is not easy to say how long it takes,it depends also by the song and our time,but usually 1 month of work.
I work with Groeber to do this and Mauron for vocal parts of course.
We're the correct "machine" to write music,the correct team...we don't need anyone else to compose with.


6.which usually comes first the music or lyrics? what are some topics/subjects you write about?

We write always music first, but it all starts with an idea in my mind...I imagine the final result of a song, but I start playing guitar riffs or keyboards chords or arpeggios.
In general people does not understand the importance of forces of nature and animals, so we talk about it and the nature rebellion after the human cruelties,but also about an elitè of persons who understand this and survive that nature rebellion: "Solitude In Middle Winter" says "And now you and me, we are one".... I mean human and nature (In the lyrics I used "she" for nature because I treat her like an Entity).


7.does the band live very often or do you prefer to work only in the studio? who are some bands you all have played/toured with? if you
could set-up a "dream" show/tour who are some bands you would love to play/tour with?

Our current decision is to work on songs only, we need many hours to do this.We finished "Mother Earthquake" in May 2010 and spent till August sending our work everywhere and promoting it.In September we started again with new songs...so...we don't stop.
My personal dream is to play on a stage with people interested in our music; no particular idea af another band to support.


8.the band comes out of the mighty italian scene so i was curious what is your opinion of the metal scene in italy?

I think in Italy we got many many talents, many good musicians, but Italy is not a good place to promote metal I think,probably not for bands...because record labels don't trust in us and you never see metal music on tv and is very difficult to listen to something on the radio, so the problem is the music culture...There are many metallers all around who follow metal shows,but always in restricted places and lack of publicity.


9.who are some of your all-time favorite italian metal bands? are their any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?

I don't want to talk about famous bands...no one of them is capturing my atention, but I can recommend a band that I mentioned also in our cd...they are "Mourn In Silence"...wow...great sounds man! MiS is another band born near my town...with another great composer friend of mine!




10.everyone has their own ideas/opinion on what black metal means. so in your opinion what does "black metal" mean to you?

Black Metal, in my opinion...mmm...have to smoke a cigarette!



11.do you or any of the other members of sententia mortis play in side-bands or projects? if yes please tell the readers a little about
them?

At the moment only Mauron sings in his historical band "Dominance", great death metal from Reggio Emilia: they had two deals in 15 years of work.Other projects for me and Grober finished before Sententia Mortis.


12.coming back to the band for a moment you handle the guitars for the band when did you first start playing the guitars? are you self-taught
or have you had lessons in the past?

I started at the age of 14...with some indications of my father (he's also a musician, 40 years of playing jazz).
Then I decided to take lessons...done for some years till I decided to learn also keyboards.


13.who are some of your influences/favorite guitarist? besides the guitars you also play keyboards for the band how long have you played the
keyboards? which do you enjoy playing the most? besides guitars and keyboards do you play any other instruments?

Well...i got many different influences....for example in style I prefer Brian May,in skill Nuno Bettencourt and Dimebag Darrel for rithm and aggressive sounds.
I started playing keyboards like 5 years ago, only to try...definetly with Sententia Mortis so in 2008.
It depends on my feeling...when i feel aggressive I play guitars, when I want to create something majestic I play keyboards.
At the moment i don't play any other instrument but I don't know how can be future for my musical career!



14.well my friend thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview. do you have any final comments for the readers?

Thank you too Patrick and let me finish in the way I always prefer..."Proelium has just begun".
Demon

to contact demon and sententia mortis please check out their "official" myspace here
http://www.myspace.com/sententiamortis
or if you are a zine,label,distro or fan who does not use myspace email him directely.

sententiamortis@gmail.com