Monday, February 22, 2021

Interview with Demon guitarist,keyboards for Sententia Mortis Posted on 2-22-21

 


1.Hello Demon please introduce yourself to the readers?

Hi Patrick, 10 years passed from our last interview so, nothing changed about how I begun my Sententia Mortis project, but I’m still here, from Italy, 41 years old and still metalhead.

2.When did you first discover black and death metal and who were the first bands that caught your attention?Who are some of the newer bands that you have been listening to recently?

All started at the age of 13/14, after a period of listening to some rock/hard rock bands, searching for something heavier and I discovered thrash, death and black. I can say honestly that my attention was on different bands, very different bands, from Slayer to Dimmu Borgir. Recently I’m loyal to the old school metal and is difficult for me to open my mind to many new bands even if sometimes it happens.

3.Sententia Mortis was started back in 2008 when did you and the other members first get the idea to start this band? How did you come up with the name Sententia Mortis for the name of the band?Does it have a special meaning?

I get that idea after splitting up another previus band in 2007, it was a Motley Crue Tribute. Talking with my friend Groeber we decided to search for members for a new project and to call it “Sententia Mortis”.

As you can understand it means “death sentence”…something that everyone is condamned to.



4.Who would you say are the bands biggest influences and have they remained the same over the years?For the readers unfamilar with Sententia Mortis music how would you best describe it?

Obviously the main influence is Symphonic Black Metal, in particular from bands like Dimmu Borgir, Covenant (now The Kovenant), Troll and Old Man’s Child… and yes they remained the same during the years. I’m very coherent ahahah.

5.Untold Abominations is the bands third release that was released through Earth And Sky Prod. when did you first come in contact with this label?

I was at the end of this work when I begun to writing to some old contacts and labels. Even if now the main concentration is on raw black metal and tape releases I found a concrete collaboration with Earth and Sky Production, it’s what I really need for my project.

6.How long did it take to write the music for the new release?Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member usually write everything? How long would you say it takes to complete one song?

This album is almost a 10 years work, because I was alone from the second album, so yes, I also wrote all the music and a part of the lyrics. Half of the songs are written by Marco Serodine from Chronic Hate ( a death metal band that all of us should listen to). But to finish a single songs depends by too many factors, first of all….time.

7.Where did you draw inspiration for the lyrics on the newest release and what are some topics written about?Which usually comes first comes first the music or the lyrics?

I always start from the music, because that is the key for the atmosphere I want and them come the lyrics. This album talks about personal situations and all has been “untold” in the past.

8.Where can the readers purchase a copy of Untold Abominations besides the newest release are the previous two releases still availible to purchase?Besides physical releases does the band have any other merchandise currently availible if yes what is availible and where can the readers buy it?

The digital version of the album can be purchased and listened almost everywhere, Bandcamp, Amazon, Spotify, ITunes, Deezer etc… the physical copies can be purchased through Earth and Sky Productions pages and will be in jewel case with red tray, so… this is also part of the entire trilogy concept.

I think there are still some copies remaining of the previous albums through Runenstein Records, now Narbentage Produktionen in Germany.


9.Demon you handle the guitars for the band when did you first become interested in playing the guitars?Are you self-taught or did you take lessons when first start starting out?

My father is a musician too and I wanted to follow him in this world from the childhood, so first classes where with him and then started in academy. Years later started also with keyboards.

10.Who would you say are your biggest influences and favorite guitar players?

As a guitar player I can say I like Darrel, Nuno Bettencurt and Brian May….very very different guitar players, I like the way they played in their music but as you can see I’m not a solo guitarrist.

11.You also handle the keyboards for the band when did become interested in playing the keyboards?Who are some of your favorite keyboard players?

I’ve been always fascinated by the black metal kayboards because of the atmosphere they created in the 90s, so I’m really in love with all those keyboards player from bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle Of Filth, Hecate Enthroned, Abyssos and more.

12.Besides the guitars and keyboards do you currently play any other instruments?Are their any instruments that you would like to learn to play someday?

Well, as I told before, for this album I was alone so I hand to play bass guitar. Even if it’s not my first instrument i handled it nicely.

13.What does Black Metal mean to you?

Black Metal is an attitude, a choice of life, it’s a way of thinking, in a certain way is a philosophy

14.Sententia Mortis comes out of the Italian black metal scene what is your opinion of Italy's black metal scene over the years?

For sure there are many great bands around and many other coming and thounsands in the underground but not enough space for all. Probably we are too much, too much to make sense.

15.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Italy and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?

I think now you should check Chronic Hate from north east of Italy.

They are on the scene from more than 20 years and play a very powerfull death metal. The singer is Andrea Mezzarobba, same singer of my last Untold Abominations album.

They are finishing a new work in this period so…check them out.

16.Do you currently work with any other bands or solo projects the readers should check out soon?

Not at the moment. I concentrate myself in promoting this last work, but I have proposals around me.

17.Thank you Demon for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

I only want to say I’m very satisfied with the end of The Unholy Trilogy, it was something I starded more than 10 years ago and finally is the end.

Thank you so much Patrick and keep up the good work.

Demon                                                                                                                                                          Band Contacts                                                                                                                                                https://sententiamortis.bandcamp.com/                                                                                                        https://www.facebook.com/sententiamortisband/                                                                                          https://www.instagram.com/sententiamortisproject/                                                                                    Label Contacts                                                                                                                                              https://easp.bandcamp.com/                                                                                                                          https://www.discogs.com/label/524795-Earth-And-Sky-Productions                                                          https://www.facebook.com/EASPRODUCTIONS