Saturday, December 5, 2020

Interview with Dan guitarist of Mutual Hostility done on 12-5-20


 

1.Hello Dan please introduce yourself to the readers?

My name is Dan Gates and I play guitar in Mutual Hostility.

2.When did you first discover metal music and was it long before you discovered death metal? Who were some of the first bands you heard?Who are some of the current bands that have caught your attention?

I was about 14 years old and started becoming a fan of 80’s thrash metal. I was in High school in the 80’s and that was the time that a lot of great thrash metal was happening. I started off listening to Suicidal Tendencies, DRI, Dark Angel, Slayer, Metallica and Testament. I discovered a lot of other bands before learning about Death Metal. In the early 90’s I got introduced to Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Deicide and Morbid Angel. Not to mention a lot of underground bands shortly after that.

3.Dan were you a big reader of fanzines back in the 90's and early 00's? If yes what were some of the first fanzines that you read?

Yeah I read a lot of fanzines because I was always trying to get my band TON into them. I had to dig deep in my closet to find my old interviews and reviews to remember the names of the zines TON was in. Simbiotic, Unholy Terror, Metalcore, Esoteric, The Grimoire Of Exalted Deeds, Extremities, Carnivorous, Katopetia, Sanguinary Surroundings and a shitload more!

4.What do you feel made a good fanzine and are there any current fanzines that you read?What is your opinion of web-zines do you read or keep up with very many?

I think including good bands makes a good zine. Not just popular bands but also bands that are good that maybe not a lot of people know about. I haven’t read any zines lately but I did pick up a copy of the Tape Dealer book that has a lot of old school bands and zines in it. I did an interview for that also. I think webzines are cool! Easy access to a lot of information about bands. I think if I weren’t in a band I might spend more time reading them and seeking out new bands. But I keep really busy with my own music.

5.Besides fanzines i know tape-trading was huge back in the 80's and 90's did you ever do a lot of tape trading back in the day? What were some first releases and demo's you traded for?

Yes I did as much tape trading as I could. I got very excited about being able to send my music all over the world and get great stuff in return for it. Internet makes it easy now but back then you had to really work to get your music out there. I spent a lot of money at the post office. I traded with great bands! Deeds Of Flesh, Beheaded, Disgorge, Fleshgrind, Corpsevomit, Skinless, Internal Bleeding, Pyrexia and a bunch more.

6.When did you first become interested in playing the guitar and are you self taught or did you take lessons when first starting out?

I was 17 and I had 2 friends that had guitars. The first time I strapped my friends guitar on and hit the strings I knew that I had to have one. I was a senior in high school and I got my first amp for Christmas shortly after I got my first guitar. I am self taught. In the 80’s Metallica was my favorite band. I learned to play by playing their riffs.

7.Who would you say are your biggest influences and favorite guitarists? Besides the guitar do you currently play any other instruments?

I’m sure I’m influenced by everything I listen to. I was definitely influenced by all the great 90’s Death Metal bands. I don’t try to emulate anyone but I’m sure those influences come out in my music. I don’t really have a favorite guitarist but I do appreciate those who really put the time in to become awesome. I play some bass for recording purposes when I have to but that’s it other than guitar.

8.When did you first meet the other members of the band and was it long before you all formed Mutual Hostility?

Eric Frabotta our drummer and I are close to the same age so I’m sure we met somewhere way back in the day. I just don’t remember when or where. Adam Rogers our vocalist and I didn’t meet until a few months ago. All the recording for the ep was done and we hadn’t even met yet. We started working on songs for the ep in January of 2020. As of right now Mutual Hostility is a recording project. Would love to perform live someday but we’ll see.

9.What is the current line up of the band?Who would you say are Mutual Hostility's biggest influences?For the readers who who have never heard the band how would you best describe the musicial style?

Eric Frabotta-Drums, Adam Rogers-Vocals, Dan Gates-Guitar/Bass. I would say our influences range from Old school 90’s Death Metal to modern day Death Metal. Everything from Bolt Thrower to Meshuggah and more recent stuff. There is an old school vibe at times but I think we also mix in riffs that have a unique quality to them that helps us to have an original sound. We’re definitely not just rehashing the same old stuff.

10.Sacred Propaganda is the bands debut full-length which is being released through Cult Of Parthenope when did you and the band come in contact with this label?

It’s actually a 5 song ep. We released our first single Pyramid Of Hate on Slam Worldwide and Giulian From Cult Of Parthenope really liked it and contacted us.



11.Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member usually write the music?How long does it usually take the band to complete one song?

Eric comes up with all the drum beats, arranges them into a song, records them and sends the arrangement to me. I write all of the guitar riffs to the drum beats. It’s a little backward from most bands and any band I’ve been in. But its cool and it’s fun and I think we write some really cool songs doing it that way. After I finish guitar and bass Adam works out the vocal arrangements.

12.Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some topics written about on the debut?Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics?

Adam writes the lyrics. I think he has lyrical ideas prior to hearing the music then works out the arrangement when he gets the song. Lyrical topics range from hate being taught at a young age, mind control, invisible boundaries and natural disasters.

13.Besides the debut Sacred Propaganda release does the band have any other merchandise currently available for the readers?If yes what is available and where can the readers purchase it?

Right now all that is available to buy is limited edition box set and digipak. Hopefully some shirts soon. Best place to buy is Cult Of Parthenope Bandcamp page. https://cultofparthenope.bandcamp.com/album/sacred-propaganda

14.I know right now and in the forseeable future bands can not play live but when bands are able to play live again are there any plans for Mutual Hostility to do some shows or do you prefer working in the studio?

Right now we have no plans to play live. Maybe in the future but I don’t know. We do plan to start working on new material though.

15.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your spare time?

Well I love going to see live bands but unfortunately we can’t really do that right now. I like to spend time with my son, my girlfriend and my dog. I own a lawn care/landscaping business so sometimes I’m perfectly happy to do nothing and just relax a bit.


nothing and just relax a bit.

16.Thank you Dan for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

Thank you very much for the interview! You and I go way back. Please check out our Sacred Propaganda ep. Its available for purchase and available on all streaming platforms. ¥m/                            Band Contact                                                                                                                                           https://www.facebook.com/MutualHostility                                                                                                 https://www.instagram.com/mutualhostilitymetal/                                                                                       https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1tPKIDnpiMLDlSj6strL2Q?reload=9                                            Label Contacts                                                                                                                                               http://www.cultofparthenope.com/                                                                                                               https://cultofparthenope.bandcamp.com/                                                                                                      https://www.facebook.com/cultofparthenope/                                                                                             https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4T5FF9XEB9cjMmqjlOiyew                                                         https://www.instagram.com/cultofparthenope/