Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Interview with Sodom posted on 11-3-20


 Hello please introduce yourself to the readers?

I am Tom, Bandleader, Bassist and Singer of the Metal Band “SODOM”

Sodom was started back in 1982 when did you all get the idea to start this band? Did you think the band would still be going strong after all these years?

We were inspired by Venom and came up with idea to form an own. We never thought that our band would have any future. That wasn't our goal at all. We just did the music as a kind of revolution against the parents, teachers and establishment and also against Posers and Poppers, who hate our musical direction. Metal fans were a minority, because music like “Deutsche Welle” and “New Wave” was very popular in the beginning of the 80th. I was in a school class with 30 pupils and I was the only one who listened to metal. That was strange, but we respected each other.

Genesis XIX is the band's newest full-length. As veterans, is it easier to write music or more difficult as your catalog expands?

As long as we stay creative and enjoy it, it's no problem at all to write new songs. Even after almost 40 years, I always have a lot of ideas that flow into the songs.

We are able to release an album every year, but that only ever happens in coordination with the record company. Times have changed and time is running faster and faster, so that we can only produce an album every two to three years.

Where did the band draw inspiration for the lyrics on the new release and what are some subjects the band wrote about? Which usually comes first the music or the message?

Life offers enough inspiration. Especially in these days when everything is getting out of control. I've always been interested in history and of course the wars have always played a big role in my lyrics. Most of the time the music is created first and then I write my lyrics. But when arranging the songs, we make sure that everything fits perfectly with the vocals.

What have been some of Sodom's most memorable shows and tours over the years? Who have been some of your favorite bands to share the stage with?

I can't answer that question at all. Every single show in different countries was always something special. It doesn't matter whether it was small clubs or huge stages at festivals. We also shared the stage with countless bands, but I don't want to mention any of them…

- Sodom has been active in the Metal Underground scene since the early 80's so i was interested did you and the band members read a lot of fanzines back in the 80's and 90's? If yes what do you feel made a good fanzine?

There weren't many Metal magazines around in the 80s, but I've probably read them all. Back then, of course, we didn't have the internet, so the magazines were the only way to find out about other bands, and that was always very important to us. I expect neutral reporting from good magazines. Many magazines nowadays have their favorite band that appears again and again on the front page. This is of course very unfair to the smaller band.

- Do you recall the name of any of your favorite fanzines that you read in those early years of the band? Are there any current fanzines or web-zines that you like to read these days?

Today, of course, I read Rockhard magazine, Metal Hammer, Deaf forever and Legacy magazine. I get it sent to me every month. It used to be the Aardshock and the Kerrang in mid 80s that I loved so much..

- Tape-trading was also huge back in the 80's and 90's. were you involved in the tape trading scene in those days? What were some of the early demos and releases you acquired.

There was a big tape-trading scene in Germany. I got catalogues and order lists by tape sellers each month. They sold demo tapes, rehearsal sessions and live recordings from bands all over the world. That was the only chance to get the music that was not officially released in Germany and Europe. I started up swapping the tapes with other metals fans, so I got a huge collection, but I spent a lot of money for this. Some of these tapes and rarities are still in my collection.

- Sodom comes out of the legendary German metal scene what is your opinion of the evolution of Germany's metal scene over the decades?

I think the whole metal scene changed for worse, because it’s getting more confusing in these times. This music is established and will ever be. I still miss the good old times….but when we got our first record deal, the times changed. After Agent Orange went so successful, I could quit my job in the coalmine and I was able to get more established in the metal scene and could made my life just with music. That was a dream that come true.

- Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

I hope to see again after the horrible pandemic. Thank you for your loyal support all over the decades…Yours trulyTOM                                                                                                                                             Band Contacts                                                                                                                                               http://sodomized.info/                                                                                                                                   https://www.facebook.com/sodomized                                                                                                         https://twitter.com/sodomized