Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Interview with Disavowed done by Patrick posted on 6-17-20



1.Hello please introduce yourself to the readers?
Hi Patrick! This is Daniel from Disavowed. Nice to talk to you. Looking forward to your questions!

2.When did you first discover death metal music and who were the first bands you heard?Who are some of the current bands that have caught your attention?
When I was about 14 (1989), we had a certain radio station in the Netherlands called “Vara’s Fireworks” and they had a metal program once a week, playing tracks from bands like Napalm Death, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Death, Rigor Mortis and such. I guess those were the first Death Metal bands that attracted my attention. The last “new” band that really thrilled me was Cerebral Effusion, which I really like. Those guys kick hard balls. Love it!

3.Disavowed was started back in 2000 when did you all get the idea to form this band?Are you satisfied with how things have progressed with the band over the years?
I joined Disavowed early 2001 and they were already on the verge of signing to Unique Leader and releasing their first album. As a lot of young metal bands they experimented with some cross over Thrash/Black/Death metal in a previous period, to learn and get a broad aspect of playing metal music in general. The same goes for Disavowed I guess. Firstly operating under the name of “Nocturnal Silence” and playing a mix of the mentioned styles above, they eventually made up their mind about what style they preferred to proceed with, which was US style Brutal Death Metal. The demo “Plateau” released in 1999, was a result of that; playing brutal US style death metal, inspired by Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Deeds of Flesh, Disgorge etc. So, when I joined them as the second guitar player, Nocturnal Silence was already evolved to Disavowed, with the style of music we still play today. I don’t think I would ever play something else. I love the US style Death Metal. Gutteral deep vocals, blast beats and speedy riffs.

4.Who would you say are the bands biggest influences and how do you feel the bands musical style has changed over the years?
I think while listening to bands as Death, Kreator, Sepultura, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Pestilence, Gorefest, Carcass, but also the more earlier metal like Metallica, King Diamond, Nuclear Assault really got me into playing guitar and having a great interest in this type of music in all its aspects when I was young. Some bands mentioned aged well I guess, some didn’t. But that’s just a personal thing for me. Although a band like Pestilence really pushed the boundaries in the 90’s, I remained to have tremendous interest and respect for this experimental things they did. I even liked Spheres. On the other hand; Morbid Angels lust for experiments totally lost me as a fan. So it’s just personal. Personally I really love the Scott Burns era bands. They just sounded like nothing else and for me he is the greatest metal producer that ever lived. With him leaving the scene, I somehow lost a little interest in most of the bands that he formerly produced. They just didn’t sound right after that. Also the worldwide production of many bands changed after that, and there was growing a new trend within metal production. Something I just regret a lot. Although Kristian Kohle did a great job producing our latest album, I think if Scott Burns was still producing bands, we definitely would have had him as our producer.

5.Revocation Of The Fallen is the bands third full-length release how long did it take the band to write the music for the new release?How long does it usually take the band to complete one song?
For me it takes a couple of sessions to make up, record and finish a concept song. I always start to write an empty “drum song” on my Alesis drum computer and lay down the basis. At that point I don’t really have a clue about riffing. I just focus on the drums and work on that first, until I’m satisfied with the patterns and flow. When a drum song is finished and you listen to it a couple of times, certain riff patterns will start to emerge in your brain. Then you have to translate that thing in your brain into specific notes and rhythm. It will come out of the hands eventually. It’s a natural way of writing stuff and it works for me. Not sure if Gerben is writing that way though. Of course Septimiu and Nils are adding their expertise as musicians and pimp it up quite a bit.

6.Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are subjects written about on the new release?Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics?
Robbe K is always the one writing the lyrics. As he is not really interested in the gory stuff, so he writes about philosophical things and about the human brain in particular. And how fucked up the brain can act I guess...;-)

7.Besides the upcoming Revocation Of The Fallen release are the bands previous releases still available for the readers to purchase?Besides physical releases does the band have any other merchandise currently available if yes what is available and where can the readers purchase it?
Certainly! Our first album is still available at Unique Leader records, the second is still available at Disembowel Records and the third on Brutal Mind. Check their sites, there is also a lot of merch available there, especially on Brutal Mind. He’s got all minds of clothing, vinyl etc.

8.What have been some of Disavowed most memorable shows over the years?Who have been some of your favorite bands that you have shared the stage with?
I think touring the US on the Bloodletting tour we did in 2002 was the most memorable one for me. Line up was also sick: playing with Deeds of Flesh, Disgorge and Severe Torture was insane... Those were the days.

9.When bands are able to play live shows again are their any tours or shows planned in support of the new release?If yes where will the band be playing?
We hope to go Asia (Indonesia, Japan etc) and South America asap! But to be realistic, I think we will end up playing in Europe sooner and more often than Asia or South America...

10.Disavowed comes out of Holland what is your opinion of the death metal scene in Holland over the years?
 Brutal US Style Death Metal is dead in the Netherlands, I’m sorry to say. I think Disavowed and Severe Torture are the only ones left from that generation and style. There are some new generation bands but they play gore grind, thrash, metal core, nu metal etc... Pity. Of course there are still some older generation bands playing like for example Pestilence, Sinister (god bless them) but I was hoping that the new generation would show more spirit. Alas...

11.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Holland and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?
It depends on my age: When I was 16/17, my absolute favourite Dutch Band was Pestilence, but when I got a little older I really got into Gorefest. With the upcoming new wave around the year 2000, bands like Pyaemia, Severe Turture, Mass Murder, Mangled, Brutus etc, started to get me thrilled... It never got any better than that.

12.Besides working in Disavowed do any of the members currently work with any other bands or solo projects?If yes please tell the readers a little about them?
Of course! There is a new Arsebreed album coming up very soon! I’m not talking years, but in a month or two it will be announced and the release will come soon after that, as everything is finished! It has me and my brother Pranger on guitars, the almighty Romain Goulon on drums and Joel from Pyaemia and Robbe K from Disavowed on vocals. Unfortunatly our former bass player left the band a couple of years ago, so I had to record the bass guitar for the album myself, which was the most enjoyable thing I ever did for recordings. Had so much fun doing that.
Septimiu also plays in quite a lot of other bands as either a full-time member or as a session drummer, like Necrovile, Nader Sadek, CodeRed, The Thirteenth Sun, as well as two new, secret projects - one from Germany and one from Canada.

13.What does underground metal mean to you?
You’ve said it: “Underground Metal”... That is the true nature of producing the best Death Metal in the scene! I really enjoy playing on underground festivals with underground bands. They don’t play for tits, they just play with spine and balls. And I love that.

14.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?
I think the only time I can work on the band or make music is in my spare time, haha! That goes for all of us. I mean, why did you think it took us 13 fucking years to come up with a new album??!!! (hahaha). We all have really busy lives and busy day jobs, so the band always comes out as the last priority I have to admit... The only thing I hope is that the next album won’t take us 13 years again... haha!

15.Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Well, thank yóu Patrick for giving us the interview!
Not a real specific final comment for the readers in mind at this particular moment, but I just really hope they are gonna enjoy the new album when it is released (31 juli!). Keep an eye out for it. To all my metal brothers, sisters, gays, trans, queers, drags (whatever;-)), thanks for all the support and hopefully we’ll be able to play live shows again soon. Hope to talk to all you guys then.
Best, Daniel
Horns up!
Band Contact
Label Contacts