Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Interview with Maudiir done by Patrick posted on 2-25-20

Interview with F.vocalist and all instruments of Maudiir  done by Patrick

1. Hello F. how are things going in Canada this week? Please introduce yourself to the readers?
 Hi, it’s going well, winter is slowly coming to an end here. I always prefer summer. To introduce myself, I’m F. the leader of the one-man black-thrash metal band Maudiir.

2. When did you first discover black metal and who were some of the first bands you listened to? Are there any current bands that have caught your attention?
 A few years ago, I was a fan of symphonic black metal bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir. I still like Cradle of Filth, but don’t follow them that much anymore. I discovered the Norwegian black metal bands only in recent years, searching for a “fresh” sound, different from all the modern metal bands that in my opinion end up sounding pretty much all the same, mainly due to the same ‘pitch and pocketed’ brick wall production. These days, I’m really into bands like Taake, Mayhem, Satyricon, MGLA, and the band Obsequiae that I love very much; brilliant music I think.  

3. When did you first get the idea to start Maudiir and are satisfied with how things have progressed with the band so far? How did you choose Maudiir as the band name?
 I started Maudiir in Montreal at the end of 2018. After working with various people in different projects, I needed to do something on my own. I’m satisfied with the interest I’m getting so far, people really seem to appreciate the project and I’m getting really nice reviews. The name Maudiir is derived from the French word ‘maudire’, which means ‘to curse’. My brother and a few of his good friends got together and came up with the name. I thought it was quite fitting with the lyrics of the songs and the general mood of the music. 

4. F. I believe you are the sole member of the band, did you plan to work alone or would you like to find more musicians to make a full line-up? 
I planned to work on this alone to be able to depend only on myself and eliminate compromise as best I could. Of course, if ever I decide to play the music live, I’ll have to find musicians to do it. I already know a couple of people that would be interested, so we’ll see. For now, I’m comfortable working alone on new songs for the next EP.

5. What do you feel is the easiest and hardest part about being a one-man band?
 Writing and recording everything by oneself is a lot of work, but it’s actually much faster than waiting around for people to do their parts, which I did a lot in other projects. Also, there is no chance of people quitting after a while, which I also experienced. I’d say the hardest thing about being in a one-man band is resolving problems or arrangements in songs alone. Having more than one brain trying to come up with ideas helps, but it can also change the direction of a song drastically, and not always for the better. I usually send the songs to a few people I trust, to have their opinion, if I have a doubt about some part needing to be reworked.

6. Le Temps Peste is the debut EP. which is being self-released would you like to find a label to work with on future releases or do you prefer to self-release your music?
 I might be interested in a label in the future, if only for the distribution side of things, but I’m not really looking for one as it is time-consuming and I’ll put my time elsewhere.

7. How long did it take you to write the music on the debut release? How long does it usually take to complete one song?
 It was much longer to mix the EP than to write and record it, honestly. Mixing and mastering is an art, and I don’t profess to be a professional at all. I started writing the  first song ‘Wasteland’ in November 2018, and the last song ‘Snakes of Creation’ was finished in August 2019. But then, there was a lot of tweaking around the mixes, and I kept coming back on the middle part of ‘Snakes of Creation’, which proved difficult to arrange properly, transitioning from a fast blast beats section to a reflective mood section. That song seems to be a favorite in a lot of reviews, so I guess I might have gotten it right. I’ve noticed that it usually takes me about a month from having a new guitar riff to having a complete recorded finished song.

8. Where do you draw inspiration for the lyrics and what are some subjects you wrote about on the debut release? Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics? 
Consumer society, religion, science going awry, addiction to technology, environmental decay. It’s really about day to day life and what’s happening on the news. The music always comes first. The lyrics I often write at the same time I’m recording the vocals, starting on a general subject and going with the flow of the music. I find that writing lyrics independently from the music, I end up with sentences that need to be cut or reworked because the rhythm of the words doesn’t work when recording.

9. Besides the Le Temps Peste does the band have any other merchandise currently available? If yes what is available and where can the readers purchase it? 
As of now, the music is the only available merchandise.

10. What does black metal mean to you?
 With black metal, I feel everybody is doing whatever they want without too much care for the mainstream, and there is still a spirit of rebellion and freedom; maybe the only true metal spirit left?

11. Maudiir comes out of Canada's black, thrash metal scene, what is your opinion of Canada's metal scene? 
It’s great! A lot of nice bands in different metal styles. The Quebec black metal scene I think is especially gaining attention worldwide, with bands like Forteresse, Monarque, Gris, Délétère, Trépas ,Ossuaire… Lots of really great bands are coming out or having been around for a while already.

12. Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Canada and are there any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon? 
Rush is my absolutely favorite Canadian band without a doubt. It’s always been there with me. For Quebec black metal, people should check out the releases of Sepulchral Productions. I also love the older material of Devin Townsend; Terria, Ocean Machine… A true Canadian musical genius.

13. Besides working in Maudiir do you currently work with any other bands or solo projects? If yes please tell the readers a little about them?
 I am also in the prog-thrash band Trinity Blast. We have released 2 new singles at the beginning of the year. And I play guitar in the Iron Maiden tribute band ‘Made In Iron’.

14. When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?
 I watch TV series. There is a lot of quality series nowadays.

15. Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out, do you have any final comments for the readers?
 Thank you very much for your interest in me and Maudiir, it is very much appreciated.
Band Contacts