Friday, June 28, 2019

Interview with Dreams In Fragments, done by Patrick posted on 6-28-19


Interview with Dreams In Fragments, done by Patrick

1.Hello how are things going in Switzerland these days? Please introduce yourself to the readers?

Switzerland is a great place to do music as a hobby but a bad one if you’d like to do it for a living.
Female-fronted melodic metal from Switzerland – this is Dreams in Fragments. The foursome, consisting of Seraina Schoepfer (lead vocals), Chris Geissmann (guitar, vocals), Jan Thomas (bass) and Franc Fritschi (drums) hails from the otherwise so calm town (un)known as Wangen bei Olten somewhere between Basel, Berne and Zurich. Due to its musical stylings, the band has been compared to bands such as «Nightwish» or «Delain». However, Dreams in Fragments have no reason to present themselves as a cover band of any of the greats; Seraina’s voice, operatic yet light as a feather, combined with Chris‘ growls sets the band apart in the same way the union of hard guitar riffs and dreamy orchestrations does. It is only fitting that the setlist is built around the band’s own compositions such as «The Maze» and «Nightchild»..But you surely did read that one before.  

2.When did you first become interested in writing and playing music?

Chris: It was early in my case. I sang in choirs and local band/choir-projects and when I was about 15 years old I started my first band. Let’s say I tried. It didn’t work so great. Shortly after I joined the band Majesty of silence. We are still active today.

 3.When did you first meet the other members of the band? And was it long before you all got the idea to start Dreams In Fragments?

 Chris: I met the band when they asked me to join them back a few years. The band was named differently back then and a few members left the band since then. That’s why we renamed it at the beginning of 2017 to Dreams in Fragments.

4.Who would you say are Dreams In Fragments biggest influences?

Chris: For myself, it is Dimmu Borgir in 1997 when “Enthrone Darkness Triumphant” came out. Soon after that Cradle of Filth’s album “Cruelty and the beast”. Also, the gothic style of music influenced me, The Birthday Massacre has certainly left a lasting impression. I liked Nightwish too since “Angels Fall First” and was always very attracted to similar bands like for instance Delain. But I was also very attracted to melodic death metal like In Flames and Dark Tranquility.
Seraina:
I think we all have different influences and sources of inspiration. For me, they are especially bands like Nightwish, Evanescence, Delain or Amaranthe.

5.How long did it take the band to write the music for debut release? Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member usually write everything?

Chris: Hard to say for two songs already existed when I joined. All in all, I’d say it took 3 years to complete the songs. But keep in mind that in this time also personnel changes hindered the work. I am usually composing the music while Seraina writes all lyrics and usually all vocal melodies. Of course, we still discuss the songs together, which leads to some small adjustments. 

6.Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some subjects written about on Reflections Of A Nightmare? Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics?

Seraina: Normally I am responsible for all the vocals and lyrics. I always want to tell stories with my lyrics. Sometimes it's my dreams I recount - or sequences of them. I dream really weird. Most people can't completely remember their dreams. They are fragments that we have to reassemble in our heads. Was a nightmare really a nightmare, or do I only remember the bad and cruel part of it? In the end, everything always has a good and a bad side - and sometimes we don't know which is which. I like this twist. It inspires my songwriting and it also inspired the album title "Reflections Of A Nightmare". So dreams and their effects are really present in us - not only in the band- and album names.
Chris:
Mostly music comes first and Seraina writes lyrics on top of it. 

7.Has the band ever thought of making a music video for any of their songs? If you had an opportunity to make to a video for any of the songs off of " Reflections Of A Nightmare" which song would you like seen made into a music video?

Chris: We had a lyric video of our Song Nightchild done earlier this year. But for a full music video, we didn’t have neither time nor money. If the opportunity should come, we surely would consider it. I’d personally do a video of Either In Flames, The Maze or Unireverse.

8.Besides the upcoming debut release Reflections Of A Nightmare does the band have any other merchandise currently available? If yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?

Chris: No atm we, unfortunately, don’t have any further merch.  

9.Has Dreams In Fragments played live very often yet or do you prefer working in the studio? What have been some of the bands most memorable shows and who are some bands you have had the chance to share the stage with?

Chris: For the relatively short time that we have existed, we have played relatively much live. We owe most of it to our friends from Forge, who took us on their Eastern European tour, from which we recently returned. So Dreams in Fragments is a live band. I like to work in the studio but that’s most of the time just me alone. 

10.Are there any shows or tours planned in support of the debut release if yes where will Dreams In Fragments be playing?

Chris: As mentioned we were on eastern Europe tour with Forge. We played five shows on the tour and it was a great experience. Now we are looking out to play some more gigs around Switzerland and our neighbouring countries. For sure you can come to see us on August 23rd at the Chillout at Boswil as support for Elcano who play their first show and on November 9th at the Met Bar Lenzburg on the occasion of the Emerging Metal Night organized by unblack. 

11.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?

Chris: I cuddle up with my two kitties while watching a good movie or hang out with my best friends.


 12.Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Thanks for the interest in our Band and your support. See you in an audience soon!

Band Contacts