Tuesday, August 29, 2017

HellRipper  done  by  Patrick posted up on 8-29-17




Interview  with  James Mcbain  vocals,all  instruments  of  HellRipper  done  by  Patrick


1.Hello  James  how  are  things  going  in Scotland  these   days?Please  introduce  yourself to  the  readers?

Things are OK at the moment, thank you. I am from Aberdeen, Scotland and am the sole-member of Hellripper, Lock Howl and Lord Rot and I am the guitarist/vocalist for crust band Rats of Reality.


2.When did you  first  become interested in  writing  and  playing  music?What  was the  first  instrument you  learned to  play?

I think I first started writing music when I was about 13/14 around about the time I started taking guitar more seriously which was the first instrument I learned how to play.


3.Are you  self taught or  did you take  lessons  when  first  starting  out?Are their  any  new  instruments you  would  like to  learn to  play  one  day?

I am mostly self-taught. I did receive a few guitar lessons when I was at school, but it was more focused on classical playing and I did not enjoy it at all so I stopped after a while. I really want to learn how to play piano and have been interested in learning for ages now. I will stop being lazy and will get around to it eventually.


4.James  you  formed  HellRipper  in 2014  what  gave  you  the  idea to  start this  band?Who  would you  say  are  some  of HellRipper's biggest influences ?

The idea to start Hellripper was just because I wanted to write music that I was into and the fact that it is a solo project is simply because there was nobody else around that was into or willing to play that kind of music at the time.  The biggest influences for the Hellripper sound would be bands such as; Sabbat [JPN], Toxic Holocaust, Kreator, Midnight, TANK, Mercyful Fate, Venom etc. I could go on and on but those are probably the main ones.


5.Coagulating Darkness  is  the  bands debut release which  was released  through Barbarian Wrath Rec. how  did you  first  come in  contact  with this  label?

They messaged me and expressed an interest in releasing the debut album when I got around to recording it. Barbarian Wrath, along with partner label Witches Brew are excellent labels both in terms of how they are to work with and the calibre of their releases so I was very happy to be part of that. The 'Coagulating Darkness' CDs turned out amazingly as well so I am very pleased with that.




6.I believe  i  read their  will  be  a  vinyl  release  will  this  be  released  through  Barbarian Wrath  or  will you  work  with  another  label?

The vinyl edition of the album was just recently released but through another German label 'Diabolic Might Records'. Again, very cool people to work with and they have put out some amazing releases despite being a relatively new label. I worked with them last year on the vinyl edition of the compilation 'Complete and Total Fucking Mayhem' and that turned out great so I was happy to work with them again. The 'Coagulating Darkness' vinyls turned out amazingly to.



7.Besides  the  debut  release  does  the  band  have  any  past  releases  still  availible  for the readers?Besides physical releases is  their  any  other  merchandise  availible  for the  readers if  yes what  is  availible  and  where can  the readers  buy  it?

Indeed, there are a number of releases still available at various labels/distros online. Just visit the Hellripper bandcamp page for a list of releases that I personally have available and check out the websites of the labels who put out each release. Alternatively, a quick google search will give you all the places that have Hellripper stuff in stock.  Regarding merchandise, there are a couple of t-shirt designs available at the moment as well as a couple of patches. These can be found on the bandcamp page. (http://www.hellripper.bandcamp.com).

8.In your  opinion  what is  the  best  and  worst  thing  about the underground  scene today?And  what  does underground  metal  mean  to  you?

The best thing about the underground scene today is that there is so many good bands. Almost everyday I discover a new band that I become a fan of. The worst thing would be all of the elitists that refuse to get out of their comfort zone and then spout shit as if their opinion is gospel.

Underground to me is just the community of metal bands and fans that are in it for the music. Supporting other bands, buying their merch, going to shows, sharing new bands with friends.


9.I know you  have  session  members to  play  live  show when  did you  decide  to  start  playing  live?What  have  been  some  of the  most  memorable  show you  have  played  so  far?

I always thought it would be cool to play live shows with Hellripper but didn't have a willing line-up. When I found a bunch of friends that were keen on playing live shows, we got a few local shows booked quite quickly. We have only played a couple of shows so far and I would say the first gig we played was the best because it was in a small rehearsal room and the energy in there was nuts. We have a show in October at Old Grave Fest in Romania with a couple of my favourite bands such as Necrophobic and Blackevil. So, if all goes to plan, that will hopefully be the most memorable show so far.

10.Are  their  any  tours or  shows  coming  up  in  support  of  Coagulating Darkness? If  yes  where  will  the  band  be  playing  and  who  are  some  bands you  will  share the  stage  with?


We have the show in Romania that I mentioned previously which is our only planned show for the moment.


11.Have  you  started  working  on  new  music for the  next  full length? 

I have got a few riffs and ideas for the next full-length but that's a long way from being ready at the moment as I have a specific vision in mind for the album. 
I have however, got a bunch of songs ready for upcoming splits and possibly an EP for the next year or so. So there should be no shortage of Hellripper releases for the near future haha.


12.When  not  working  on  new  music  or  band  business  what  do you  like to  do  in your  free  time?

To be honest, that's basically all I do. If not working on music, I will be listening to it or will be at a local show. Other than that, I'll be watching some shit on TV haha.


13.Besides  HellRipper  do you  currently  work  with  any  other  bands or solo  projects?If  yes  please  tell the readers  a  little  about  them?

I am also the sole-member of Lock Howl which is a post-punk/goth band influenced by bands like Type O Negative, Beastmilk, Opeth, Editors. I released the debut album for that in February of this year.
 I am the sole-member of Lord Rot, a death metal project influenced mainly by the Swedish scene such as Unleashed, Repugnant, Entombed, Dismember. So far only an EP has been released but a split with American band VHS is planned for later in the year and will be followed by a full-length hopefully sometime in 2018.
I play guitar and perform vocals in crust band Rats of Reality. We have released 3 EP's with each differing in sound slightly. Our latest, 'Obsequies' incorporates some influences from bands such as Oathbreaker and Converge to our style originally inspired by Darkthrone, Celtic Frost and the likes.


14.Thank  you  James  for  taking the  time  to  fill this  interview  out  do you  have  any  final  comments  for the  readers?

Thank you for taking the time to conduct this interview! If anyone is still reading, check out Hellripper on facebook and bandcamp!

                                                                    Band  Contacts
                                                            https://www.facebook.com/Hellripper1
                                                             https://hellripper.bandcamp.com/
                                                                      Label  Contacts
                                                              http://www.barbarianwrath.org/
                                                             https://barbarianwrath.bandcamp.com/
                                                            https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BarbarianWrathOrg