Friday, April 27, 2018
Interview with Northwind Wolves done by Patrick posted on 4-27-18
Interview with Northwind Wolves done by Patrick
1. Hello please introduce yourself to the readers and how are things in California this week?
Well hello, my name is Noor, I'm the Singer/Guitar player for NorthWind Wolves. We're a Melodic Black metal band from L.A.
Things in California are usually cold still for this time of year, it must be because we're working on new material...
2. When did you first meet the other members of the band and was it long before you all formed Northwind Wolves?
Astaroth and I have a long past , we're best friends and a few of the highlights from our past were when we met a a music store, the various bands we've been in together for over a decade, we've been room mates, and we've taught each other alot about black metal and guitar playing in general.
Oddly enough, we met Brett while we were playing a show, we had another drummer at the time who forgot one of his drum pieces and Brett agreed to let him borrow the piece from his kit. We stayed friends after that, and eventually Brett decided to jam with us full time! This was all probably close to Ten years ago as well. Brett's been jammin' with us since the Sinstorm days.
Lennis was the last one to arrive , he and Brett actually have been jamming separately for over a decade as well, in some metal bands like Tchildress. Lennis has been in our line up for over a year now.
3. What is the current line up of the band? And who would you say are Northwind Wolves biggest influences?
Lennis - Bass Guitar
Its actually quite tough to decide that, as you guys probably know , Brett was in the Faceless , Animosity, and alot of other bands with a similar sound. Brett and Lennis we're in Tchildress and other Technical Death metal bands and they bring that sort of Energy to our music. They are more open minded and have alot wider influences than I have. Astaroth is more similar to my tastes musically, and he branches out into some more of the modern DSBM and Post - Black bands.
Personally I'm a traditional 2nd wave elitist when it comes to my musical taste.I'd say over all we collectively can claim extreme metal bands as our influence primarily, but I'd say half the band is strictly influenced by Black metal, and the other half influenced by all forms of extreme metal.
4. Dark...Cold...Grim is the bands debut full length which will be released through Black Lion Rec. when did you and the band come in contact with this label?
Actually I had seen the Energy of this record label from afar and I had to be part of what was happening over there in Sweden. I sent Oliver our material and he decided it would be a good fit to let us join his Raggedy pirate crew. So together we've aiming for more Northwind Wolves releases and Music videos for the fans next.
5. How long did it take the band to write the music for the debut release? Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member write everything?
Our First album was composed by me, produced mostly by Brett with help from Astaroth.
6. Who usually handles writing the lyrics and what are some topics you all wrote about on the debut?
I actually write my own lyrics , can you believe that? I try to use Black metal as a canvas of chaos which draws from the extremes of human emotion, From the Depression of a dying old man, to the fears of the unknown in a child's mind, this world will eat you up alive, and we need music to help us through some of those tough times. Sometimes the most real things are those that are the ugliest and untouched by materialism and the lust for profit.
7. Besides the debut Dark...Cold...Grim does the band have any other merchandise available for the readers to buy?If yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?
Right now we're working on get some full live concerts online for the fans, we're also in the writing phase for a second album we hope to release sometime in about a year. So fans of Northwind Wolves can know we're going to be around for a while releasing more and more music, we're not one of those bands that mysteriously disappears.
Our Link for Merch/ Music is this one https://northwindwolvesblacklion.bandcamp.com/
8. Does Northwind Wolves play live very often or do you prefer to work in the studio?What have been some of the bands most memorable shows so far?
We're mostly a live band, but we are comfortable in the studio as well.
9. Are their any tours or shows planned in support of the debut if yes where will the band be playing?
Not yet, but we'd like to pair up with some European black metal bands who are touring the west coast of USA anytime in 2018, we've been practicing and we feel like now is the time to get out there this year.
10. What does black metal mean to you?
Black metal is an untouchable form of protection, though people have tried to exploit it , the moment you try to do that your music becomes tainted and the fans can tell. Black metal is one of the last true forms of art, where the artists dont prostitute themselves in order to appeal to the masses. Black metal is the last Bastion of the free thinkers of this world, and this is our last stand against the army of conformists and mind police...
11. Northwind Wolves comes out of California's black metal scene what are your thoughts on the scene in California?
The scene here is very mixed, alot of people dont really know where the line between black and death metal is, or if it even exists anymore. I've met alot of metal people who dont even know who the bands are on the shirts they wear, and those who are die hard fans who know every detail about the musician's lives. So yeah its a mixed bag...
12. Who are your all-time favorite bands from California?And are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?
Oh, thats tough, well If i don't merely have to choose from black metal , I'd say Most of the Thrash from the 80's from California was pretty sick and among some of the best material in metal.
13. Besides bands are their any honest and reliable labels and distro's you could recommend to the readers?
Yeah , Black Lion Records! You've got to be pretty good to get in though, these guys really filter their
14. Thank you for taking the to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Not really, Thanks for the opportunity though, it means alot that you guys help get the word out there about our music.