Friday, September 8, 2017

Wormwitch interview done by Patrick posted on 9-8-17



Interview  with  Wormwitch   done  by  Patrick 

1.Hello   please  introduce  yourself  to  the  readers?And  when  did you  become  interested  in  playing and  writing  music?

Hey I’m Robin and I play bass/vocals in Wormwitch. I was interested in music very early on (about 11 years old I got my first drum kit) heavily influenced by AC/DC and Ozzy etc, which I think was typical of kids my age at the time. I didn’t start really taking it seriously until after I had graduated from high school though.


2.When  did you  meet the  other  members  of  the  band  and  was  it  long  before you all  formed  Wormwitch?

I met Colby in 2011 or 2012, a few years before we started playing music together, we were in two different local bands and didn’t really pay much heed to one another. Eventually I became dissatisfied with the music I was playing and essentially everyone around me so I quit my band and moved back to my home town. I had just started exploring metal, coming from punk and hardcore. I discovered Disfear and other d-beat bands along with newer metal bands like Black Breath, and decided I wanted to play something like that (still with some hardcore influence). I just made a post on a local forum and Colby replied. The band we formed at the time eventually dissolved. At that point I was much more invested in metal (in part due to Colby’s influence) and we started Wormwitch immediately after.


3.What  is  the  current  line up  of  the band  and  who  would you  say  are  Wormwitch's  biggest  influences?

The current line up consists of Colby and myself. Our  influences are pretty vast, as we’ve never really been  “pick a genre and play it” kind of people. Darkthrone is a big one, but I’d say Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kvelertak, Taake, and AC/DC are pretty big as well. There are plenty more, but you get the idea.


4.Strike Mortal Soil  is the bands  debut  full length  how  long  did it  take  the  band to  write  the music for this  release?

Not long in the grand scheme of things. We were in the midst of writing an EP when Prosthetic contacted us and required a full length as part of the contract. I’d say it took us about 4 months to write the whole damn thing. But it’s interesting to note how that process taught us a lot about the music we actually want to play. It was the most material I had ever written in such a short period of time, and it ended up being quite… diverse… which is good and bad. This time around we have a lot more time on our hands, and have put a lot of thought into one specific goal we want to achieve the results are exciting, but that’s a bit far off yet.


5.Who  usually takes  care  of  writing  the  lyrics  for the  band and  what  are  some  subjects  you all wrote  about  on  Strike Mortal Soil?

I have always written all the lyrics myself. Strike Mortal Soil was the culmination of a lot of personal experiences in the years leading up to it. The lyrics have a lot to do with death and society and the correlation between the two. I left the christian church about 4 years prior, so I felt like I had a lot to say about that, which I had yet to say in a meaningful way until that point.


6.Besides  the Strike Mortal Soil  release  does the  band  have  any  other  releases or  merchandise  available  for the  readers?

We have a demo called “The Long Defeat” and a single called “Coffin Birth” up on bandcamp.


7.Does  Wormwitch  play  live  very  often? If  yes  what have  been  some  of your  most  memorable  shows?

We haven’t played very many shows yet, but that’s rapidly changing. I’d say my favorite show I’ve ever played was recently in Salt Lake City at the Metro Music Hall with our friends in Numenorean. Sound was awesome, venue was awesome, people were awesome, and it was our second show in a row with a really cool band called Possessive from Boise Idaho, who actually have a record coming out fairly soon I think, so keep an eye out.

8.Are  their  any  tours  or  shows  coming up  in  support  of the debut cd?If  yes  where  will the  band  be  playing?

We have a tour coming up with The Black Dahlia Murder, Suffocation, Decrepit Birth, Exhumed, and Necrot. Starts in October and covers a large portion of the US and Canada both. More details can be found on our facebook.


9.Besides  metal  music   do you listen  to  any other  genres  of  underground music?If  yes who  are  some  of your  favorite  bands and  artists?

I’m actually quite heavily invested into Dungeon Synth and some of the neo-folk stuff that kind of goes hand in hand with it. Artists like Sequestered Keep, Soltri, Secret Stairways, Thangorodrim, Old Tower, and Wolcensmen. I’d also throw Summoning in there even though it’s technically a metal band, but they have the same effect on me and are quite possibly my favorite band of all time in any genre. Other than that I like some grunge and new/old emo stuff like Adventures, Thursday, Daylight, Empire! Empire!, Jimmy Eat World, etc. and the odd lofi hip-hop mix.


10.When  not  working  on  new  music  or  band  business  what  do you  like to  do  in your  free  time?

There’s very little time where I’m not thinking about or taking part in band activities, and some of that time is spent on another project I can’t talk about yet. But other than that I’m out in the woods with Colby, reading, or playing an RPG on my computer.


11.Other  then  Wormwitch   do you or  any  of the  members  currently  play  in  any  other  bands?If  yes  please  tell the  readers  a little  about  them?

Colby has a project called Old Graves that’s sort of on an indefinite hiatus at the moment, but is really awesome. And I have a project that’s still a secret that he will likely be involved in as well. 


12.Thank  you  for  taking the  time  to  fill this  interview  out  do you  have  any  final  words for the  readers?

Thanks for the opportunity! People who know me know I love to talk about myself. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to check us out! You are immensely appreciated!


                                                              Band   Contacts
                                                        http://wormwitch.com/
                                                        https://www.facebook.com/wormwitch/
                                                                Label  Contacts
                                                            
                                                        https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/
                                                        https://www.facebook.com/naturmachtproductions