Here is a new interview with Hellschwadron who is a two man band with one member from the U.S.A and the other who lives in Germany.If you are a fan of thrash,death metal with War influences and lyrics you should defintly check out the debut cd "Storming Obliteration.
Interview with Hellschwadron done by Patrick
1. Hello please introduce yourselfs to the readers? I believe the two members of the band live in different countries when did you two first meet?
Z: Hellschwadron currently consist of two members. We are living on different sides of the world, but this is not a problem. Modern technology makes it possible. We have been in touch for many years now and met a couple of times here and there. We both play in various musical projects and music brought us together one day.
2. When did you get the idea to start Hellschawadron and how did you all come up with the name of the band?
Z: As Hellschwadron is a German/American project we thought that a word-play would fit best for the project’s name - and the name “Hellschwadron” fits in my opinion. It expresses the overall feeling of the music / the album quite nicely. Like a troop of bombers directly attacking you from above. Hellschwadron is a project that was formed a few years ago spontaneously with the intent to create aggressive and catchy music. In the beginning it was just a collection of riffs and the whole thing was put aside for a while. One day we thought that we should take all the stuff and release it on CD, i.e. to finalize it with vocals, layout, lyrics, mastering etc. The debut album was released in summer 2016 on Mercenary Musik / Symbolic Art Productions – we are very happy with the outcome.
3. Hellschawadron just released their debut full-length "Storming Obliteration" how long did it take to write the music for these songs? Do you both write and work on the music or does one member usually write everything? For the readers who have never heard Hellschawadron's music how would you best describe it?
Z: The songs were recorded over a period of several months a few years back. After a few years we decided to bring these records back and to releasing them. It is mainly me writing the music, whereas B is responsible for the concept, vocals, lyrics etc. The best description of Hellschwadron is probably Black-Thrash. It is very difficult to describe the music I would say. It contains elements of Thrash Metal, Death Metal and Black Metal. Also the vocals are quite varying. The overall feeling is catchy and has the “straight-in-your-face”-feeling, I would say. Most of the songs are straight forward and quite aggressive. I usually try to avoid putting the music to a certain “category”.
4. I believe the lyrics are based around World War 1 and 2 when did you guys first become interested in studying the wars and history? Will future Hellschawadron releases be based around these wars or would you like to explore other wars and times in history?
B: When we thought about putting a “theme” to this music, it seemed that War and especially these wars would fit us perfectly. Because these wars still connect to us in direct and indirect ways. Although they are modern wars they are now very nostalgic in our psyche. War is a function of the Human condition.
Z: If there will be a next record, the concept of the lyrics will for sure remain the same.
5.Besides the first two world-wars are their any other times in history that you like to read and study? Other then history do you guys like to read and study any other subjects if yes what are some some you like to read and study about?
B: We read about everything, but in regards to Hellschwadron, the subject matter will remain strictly World War I & World War II.
6. Other then the debut cd "Storming Obliteration" does the band have any other merchandise available for the readers? If yes please tell the readers what is available and where they can buy your release and merchandise?
Z: for the moment, there is only the debut CD. However, we still maybe plan to get it out on Vinyl and to have some shirts available some day. Check out www.mercenarymusik.com from time to time
7. As previously mentioned earlier the two members live in different countries Germany and the U.S.A what are your opinions of your respected metal scenes?
Z: I cannot really judge to be honest. This is simply because I lost the connection to the “scene” many many years ago. I rather prefer to listen to the old classic records.
8. Who are some of your all-time favorite bands ? And are their any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?
Z: I cannot say much about new bands that I could recommend. My all-time favorite bands are not really located in the Thrash Metal scene. There are many great bands out there that have nothing to do with Metal. There are too many to mention. There is lots of great Ambient/Neofolk/Industrial – stuff out there.
B: I feel the same way, I enjoy all different kinds of music and my taste is varied. As far as influences and favorites that relate to Hellschwadron, it would definitely be everything from the classic 80’s thrash and 90’s death metal and black metal.
9. In your opinions what does underground metal mean to you?
Z: It does not mean much to me. I can just say that we both are underground and that we were part of the scene since many many years.
10. Besides working in Hellschawadron do either of you currently work with other bands or solo projects?
Z: I am working on a couple of projects, but none of these have anything to do with Metal. The main project we both work on right now is for sure Battle Dagorath though.
B: We have 2 albums being released soon by Avantgarde Music. The albums are “I – Dark Dragons of the Cosmos” & “II – Frozen Light of Eternal Darkness”. The first has just recently been released, then the 2nd will come some months later. Check them out please.
11. When not working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?
B: Mostly there is nothing else, only music all the time. And sometimes beer
12.Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Z: Enjoy “Storming Obliteration”!