Saturday, February 11, 2017

Interview with Diabulus In Musica done by Patrick on 2-11-17

Hello
Here  is  a  new  interview  with  Spain's  Symphonic  metal  band   Diabulus  In  Musica  who  discuss  the  bands  new  release  "Dirge For The  Archons"  and  the  bands  past  and  future  plans.If  you  enjoy  extremely  well  written  and  performed  symphonic  music  check  this  band  and  the  new release  today.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com
https://twitter.com/PDeathrasher
https://plus.google.com/110515263288050247357?hl=en




Interview  with  Diabulus  In  Musica   done  by   Patrick



1.Hello   please  introduce yourself to  the  readers?And  at what  age did you  become  interested  in  playing  music?

My name is Zuberoa and I’m a singer, flutist and composer from Spain. 
Music is a very important part of my life since I can remember, so I couldn’t tell exactly. I come from a family of musicians and I’ve been singing my whole life. I started singing in the choir my mother conducted when I was a child. Then I started to study flute and guitar when I was 8 years old so I wasn’t really conscious about my capacity or not to do music. I think I realized that later, when I was around 20. I remember the first time I joined a band, I was 18 and a friend of mine convinced me to apply as a singer in a rock band. I didn’t want to because I was very shy, but the band convinced me. Until then, I just sang in choirs and studied music, but I had never thought about joining a band. My “metal” career started by chance. I just was a metal fan, but no more than that. Back then I was singing in a rock band and then a metal band (Dragon Lord) called me to record some choirs. They liked the result and asked me to join the band as main singer. This was my first contact with a metal band as a singer. After this I started to compose songs and then decided to found my own band and that’s how Diabulus in Musica was born.



2.When  did you  first  meet the  other  members  of  the  band  and  how did you  all  choose  Diabulus  In  Musica    as  the  band  name?

I met Gorka in Dragon Lord. He was the keyboard player. When The band split up I proposed him to start a new project. I had already written some songs that I showed to him. He liked the idea and we searched for new members. They were some other musicians friends we already knew. The lineup has changed since then (except for Gorka and me), but all the members are friends we knew from the local scene.
Regarding the name, it was me who chose it when I started the project. “Diabulus (or Diabolus) in Musica” is a Latin mediaeval word which means ‘the devil in music’. It was like that as they called the triton or the interval of the augmented fourth. The medieval ear was used to hearing perfect fourths and perfect fifths, (early music instruments are tuned different, in meantone tuning). The augmented fourth, being half-way between these two most common intervals, was about the worst discord imaginable. That’s why they thought that the devil was inside the triton.
The reason I chose this name was because of my music studies and my passion for Early Music. I studied classical signing but I’ve been above all focused in Historical singing. The name was perfect for us not only because of the meaning it has to me, but also because it sounds a bit dark, as our music sometimes. We like this ‘dark romantic aesthetic’ as well as Early Music (actually we have included these elements in our music more than once), so we thought Diabulus in Musica was the name that fit us the best.  



3.Diabulus  In  Musica    is  getting  ready  to  release  their  fourth  cd  "Dirge  For The Archons" how  long  did  it take  the  band to  write  the  music  for  this  release?Does  the  whole  band take  part  in  the  writing  process  or  does  one  member  usually  write  everything?

It’s usually me who writes most of the music. In general, I write the whole song and then if the rest of the members think they can improve their instruments they do and if not it stays as it was. For this record, the rest of the guys have also written some tracks, generally riff structures, then it’s me the one who writes the vocal-lines and most of the “classical” arrangements. Gorka is the one who makes the job of a producer, deciding how the song works better and making the final structures. He usually works in the orchestral arrangements with me.
Anyway,  I love when the guys write some structures because it is always challenging to put the “melodic” elements in a base you haven’t done. I think it’s richer than making everything oneself. Besides, the guitar and bass-player come from the death metal and metal core scene, so that makes our songs even more interesting. I personally like very much that mix between those styles of metal and the symphonic part, so I hope we can work this way for more songs in the future.


4.Who   usually  writes  the  lyrics  for  the  band  and  what  are  some  topics you  all  write  and  sing  about  on     "Dirge  For The Archons"?

It’s me who writes the lyrics. I talk about different topics, but there are some that I usually repeat: nature is always very present, psychology and philosophy as well, nowadays social issues and personal feelings are probably on my top. I sometimes use mythology as a metaphor too.
In the case of this album and its title, the Archons were the governors of a province in the classical Mediterranean world, but there is also a second meaning to the archons. According to some cosmologic theories, they are an alien force that intrudes subliminally upon the human mind and deviates our intelligence away from its proper and sane applications. In short, Archons here are representing control and mind manipulation over humans. With this title we claim for freedom and consciousness. The control systems (governments, multinationals…) are constantly playing with us and it seems we are not aware about it. 
Also, most of the songs in this album are talking about perception. We humans are limited by only five senses to perceive all we have around (a perception that can also be manipulated by other factors, here the Archons), but these five senses are just physical… And what about our spiritual condition? We are losing this capacity and I think that’s very dangerous and one of the reasons why the world is getting so scary. 



5.As  mentioned   "Dirge  For The Archons" is  Diabulus  In  Musica    fourth  release  how  do you  feel  the  bands  music  has  changed  over  the  years?

I suppose the music is more mature now. We have grown with the band and the band with us. When we recorded our first album, we just wanted to do something good and work hard to achieve a high quality result. We had our music in our minds, but mixing all those elements (orchestra, choir and metal) was not easy sound-wise. That was our main obsession back then. We could have never imagined that our first album would be distributed worldwide. We actually had never thought what would come later, but once we got signed we couldn’t stop making more music. We are very passionate about it and very restless: we always want to improve and learn more and more and that’s actually what we have been doing with all the releases. We do everything by ourselves (except the mixing and mastering), we work as composers, sound engineers, producers, arrangers… So we are very proud of all we have learnt and achieved through all these years. The  good thing is that we never get bored and we have always something new in mind that allows us to write more stuff and experiment with new sounds. I guess we will keep on evolving and trying to learn and search for new sounds in the future too.


6.Are  their  any  tours  or  shows  planned  in  support  of the  new  release and  if  yes  where  are  some  countries the  band  will  be  playing?

Yes! We are very excited about the upcoming tour. Our label mates Amberian Dawn and us, we are celebrating our 10th anniversary and we are starting an European tour This Friday 10th (February). We’ll play ten dates in UK, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland.


7.What   are  some  of your  most  memorable  shows  over the  years  and  who  are  some  bands you  have  shared the  stage  with?

There have been a lot! We enjoy live shows very much so each show is special. We love big festivals but also small club shows, as it allows us to have a more direct contact with the audience. One of the most special shows for us is the one we played last year in the main opera house of our city, with a full symphonic orchestra and big choir. We were 100 people on stage! One of our dreams came true because our music is conceived to be played that way, even if it’s not always possible to do so and we usually have to take the choir and orchestra recorded. It was fantastic!
We have shared stage with many great bands. We supported Manowar in Spain, Tarja in Belgium or Theatre of Tragedy in their farewell show in Mexico to name a few. Of course in metal festivals we have had the chance to share stage with many others: Doro, Arch Enemy, Cradle of Filth, Lacuna Coil, Therion… 



8.Does  the  band  have  any  plans  to  make  a  video  for  any  of the  songs  off  the  new  cd?  If you  could  make  a  video  for  any  of the  bands  songs  which  ones  would  you  like to  see  made  into  a  video?

We recorded one for “Invisible”. I personally would have loved to make another one also for “Ring around Dark fairies’ Carousel”, but it should be a very special one. For this song I was inspired by D. Elfmann and Tim Burton films so I would love to make a video in that style. Of course that would be really expensive to do, so not possible for now



9.Besides  the  newest  cd   "Dirge  For The Archons"  are  any  of the  bands  past  releases  still  available  and  where  can  the  readers  buy  them?

Sure! Our three previous albums are available in Napalm’s store or in our website diabulusinmusica.com




10.When  not  working  on  new  music  or  band  business  what  do you  enjoy  doing  in your  free  time?

I personally have very little time as I spend most of it working on music. Apart from Diabulus in Musica I have my solo project (Zuberoa Aznárez, ambient-folk music) and the folk trio Dryades as well as my classical projects and teaching. My other passion is Nature. I really enjoy hiking, trekking and climbing, so when I have the chance I run to  the mountains. I also do natural soaps as a hobby. I like reading, yoga… In general I’m a very active person who loves to do quite a few bunch of things!




11.Thank  you  for  taking  the  time to  fill this   interview  out  do you   have  any  final  words  for the  readers?

Thanks a lot for the interest, it was a pleasure answering your questions. Thanks also to the readers for taking the time to read and we hope to meet you all on the road one day! Love, Zuberoa.

                                                                     Band   Contacts
                                                               http://diabulusinmusica.com/
                                                              https://twitter.com/diabulusinmusic
                                                                       Label   Contact
                                                            https://shop.napalmrecords.com/
                                                           https://twitter.com/napalmrecords
                                                           https://plus.google.com/+napalmrecords