Thursday, March 31, 2022

Interview with RL. Vocalist and instruments for Charon Kruk Posted on 3-31-22

 



1.Hello RL. please introduce yourself to the readers?

-Hello everyone my name is Roberto Loera or best known as R.L. or Maar. I am originally from Aguascalientes Mexico and I currently reside in Gypsum Colorado.


2.When did you first become interested in writing and playing music? What are the instruments that you currently play?

-My interest in music dates way back since my childhood, I started taking music writing and recording at the age of 16 when I was in high school.

Currently I play all guitars, Bass and keyboards I unfortunately have to program drums since I don’t have the space for a drum set.

3.Are you self taught or did you take some lessons when first starting out? Are their any instruments that you currently do not play but would like to learn one day?

-No I never wanted to take lessons I wanted to learn at my own pace and experiment with the instruments I had available.

Drums are an instrument that I wish I could play full time.


4.RL.you also handle the vocals for the band when did you first become interested in screaming and growling?Do you do anything special to keep your throat and voice healthy?

-I remember I heard this band called Bethlehem in 2015* don’t remember correctly and I got really hooked up on that vocal style.

Drink hot tea, personally I recommend black tea.


5.Who some of your all-time favorite musicians and vocalists over the years?

-The Cure, The Cult, Ulver, Mayhem, Watain I could go on. As for Vocalists not clue everyone has a special way to sing and express themselves uniquely.


6.RL. you started Charon Kruk in 2018 what gave you the idea to start this band? How did you choose Charon Kruk as the name of the band and does it have a special meaning?

-Actually Charon Kruk started in 2016 under the name of Stormblast I had a line up of 5 members,, we recorded the Bleak Path Demo MMXVI and the hard drive got lost, as of the former members they left and started their own bands, in 2020 during the pandemic I got with R.S. (Lyrics and keyboards now) and I told her that I had said band and I decided to rename it Kruk (crow in Polish language) Crows are part of my culture in Mexico , where I’m from crows are known for being bad omens or witches even.

As for the new name we had to change it because a band named Kruk (completely different music genre) wanted us to “rename it or face consequences” and lo and behold Charon Kruk is born

Charon it’s the ferryman from the underworld

Charon it’s also a moon.


7.For the readers who have never heard Charon Kruk's music how would you best describe it?Who would you say are the bands biggest influences?

-unsettling, ethereal, mournful.

Believe it or not but The Cure it’s one of them, Plaga, Portal, Seth, just to name a few.


8.I believe you are the sole member of the band did you plan to work alone or would you like to find more musicians to work with in order to do some live shows one day?

-I work alone, I did recorded the first EP The King of Death and my first full length Wrapped in the Morning Red all by myself.

I truthfully think that this music is better experienced not live, I tried to find musicians to play live but nobody was into black metal, so at this point Charon Kruk it’s a studio only band.



9.Wrapped In The Morning Red is the debut full length that was released through Plague Demon Rec and Blasphemous Creations Of Hell when did you first come in contact with these labels?

-I found out about Plague Demon Records through one of my friends Wvlfgar (Isataii, Kvlt ov Odium, Esus in Tenebris) I had the album out already I submitted my album to other labels but no answer , until I sent Namtar from PDR my album to have him listen to it, it was a real nice welcoming. Truly grateful to be with these two labels.


10.How long did it take to write the music for this release?How long would you say it usually takes to complete one song?

-To write a song it could take me days or even weeks, I try not to copy myself or just repeat the same song over and over.

For the album Wrapped in the Morning Red it took me 4 months to write it and between October and November I recorded it, I also took advantage I was diagnosed with Covid, took time off from work and focused on music.


11.Besides the Wrapped In The Morning Red release you have some past demo's and EP's out are these still availible for the readers to purchase?Besides physical releases do you currently have any other merchandise for the readers to purchase if yes what is availible and where can the readers purchse it?

- There are tapes from The King of Death available through Staring Into Darkness, I have a demo track compilation that I self released under a micro label I started named Contra el Mundo Contra la Vida.

Frost Root Records has still some copies left on tape of Wrapped in the Morning Red. So there is still some merch available.


12.What does Underground Metal mean to you?

- The underground metal scene means so much to me. It means support, it means creativity, no rules, the Underground is freedom! I really don’t have much to say, there’s a lot of great talent that needs to be appreciated !


13.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?

-aside from music I like to practice sports, baseball was a big part of me growing up, still playing, hiking, I don’t play video games and that’s something people find “concerning” haha.


14.Besidies working in Charon Kruk do you currently work with any other solo projects or bands? If yes please tell the readers a little about them?

-I started another BM project last year, Lamento Eterno It’s a symphonic Black Metal band, there’s a demo out called “The Eternal Lament”

Me and R.S. are working on a unnamed synthwave project. With big influences such as Ulver, Manes, Perturbator.


5.Thank you RL. for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

- Thank you a lot Patrick for this opportunity.

Stay safe, stay metal

Hail death and every single one of you filthy bastards! Charon Kruk will return with more!                      Band  Contacts                                                                                                                                              https://charonkruk.bandcamp.com/                                                                                                           https://www.facebook.com/charonkrukband/                                                                                               https://www.instagram.com/charonkruk.band.official/                                                                                Label Contacts                                                                                                                                              https://plaguedemonrecords.storenvy.com/                                                                                                  https://plaguedemonrecords.bandcamp.com/                                                                                                https://www.facebook.com/Plaguedemonrecords.net/                                                                                  Blasphemous Creations Of Hell Rec.                                                                                                            https://bchrecords.storenvy.com/                                                                                                                  https://blasphemouscreationsofhellrecords1.bandcamp.com/music                                                              https://www.facebook.com/blasphemouscreationsofhellrecords                                                                  https://www.instagram.com/b.c.h.records/