Sunday, November 4, 2018

Interview with Dave Matrise vocalist and guitarist of Jungle Rot done by Patrick posted on 11-4-18


Interview with Dave Matrise vocalist,guitarist of Jungle Rot done by Patrick

1.Hello Dave how are things going with you this week? Please introduce yourself to the readers?

Hi, I’m doing well, I love the fall weather and this time of the year. Hello, my name is Dave Matrise and I play guitar and vocals for over 24 years for the band Jungle Rot.

2.When did you first start listening to rock and metal music? Who were some of the first bands and artists that you listened to?

When I was around 12 or 13 years old I saw Ted Nugent at a local county fair. I remember hearing the power of a concert for the first time. Also seeing a true master on the guitar and Ted’s work just hooked me right there. Soon after I started to find all the greats like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and so on.

3.Was it long before you discovered underground death metal and who were some of the early bands you listened to? Who are some current bands you enjoy listening to?

I found the underground in 1985. The first death metal show I went to was The Ultimate Revenge Tour with Venom, Slayer, and Exodus. From there on I dug deeper and deeper into the underground scene, until I found Kreator, the band that made me want to start playing guitar and to start up a band. I’ve been listening to Skeletal Remains as well as Necrot, two up and coming bands that carry the old school flag.



4.Dave i know you have been listening to death metal and metal in general since the early 90's.So i was curious did you do much tape trading back in the day? If yes what were some of your most prized releases?


I did, I miss those days a lot. I remember I couldn't wait to get home from school to check the mail box every day. It was like X-mas every day. I used to trade with all kinds of bands like Sacrifice, Suffocation, Hatebreed, and lots more when we were all starting out.

5.Were you a reader of fanzines back in the day as well? What do you felt made a good fanzine?

I was, I used to really like The Pit as well as S.O. D. mag. We did a lot of stuff with them back in the day. They both always kept up on all the current bands and were both hard working at what they do to get there name out there like us and I respected that for their hard work.

6.What are your all-time favorite fanzines that you read? Are there any current fanzines or web-zines that you try to keep up with?

I’d probably say metal maniacs because it was one of the biggest at the time around me and everyone wanted to be in it at the time. I haven't been reading too many fanzines anymore because they just aren't around much. I don’t do too much web stuff, so I’m missing out on somethings, I guess.

7.Dave you started Jungle Rot back in 1992 when did you first get the idea to start the band? And how did you choose Jungle Rot for the name of the band?

The name came from the original drummer. He was in school at the time and was taking a test in history class one day. On one of his test there was a multiple-choice question asking what the soldiers in war used to get on their feet while being in their boots too long in the swamps of the jungle. And the answer was jungle rot. He called a band practice that night and couldn't wait to tell everyone the name he had for the band. It stuck, and here we are today.

8.Who would you say are Jungle Rot's biggest influences? And how do you feel the band’s music has changed over the decades?

My influences would be bands like Sodom, Destruction, Celtic Frost, Obituary, Bolt Thrower and so on. These where the some of the first bands I discovered and made me who I am today as a musician. Without these bands in my earlier days, there would never have been a Jungle Rot if I did not find these bands, they gave me a direction to go in music.


9.The Self-Titled release is the bands ninth full length release how long did it take the band to write the music for the new release? How long does it take the band to complete one song?

We spent around 8 or 9 months writing the newest release. We really know what we are doing these days while writing new songs. It helps having so many releases out, for sure. I’ve been with Geoff and James now for almost 15 years. With all the history and time, we spent together over these years, we really know our style of music. It comes very natural for us to do it over all the time spent together. It usually takes a couple of times getting together to finish a few song. We just let the songs flow and try not to make them too hard to play and keep the basic structures to the songs.

10.I know on the new release their a cover of Kreator's classic song Terrible Certainty why did you guys decide to do a cover of this song? Do you play any other cover songs? Is there a song that you have not covered yet that you would like to on a future release?

It’s a song I’ve always wanted to do some day and the timing was right. I feel it helps give the album a throwback feels of the late 80's that I grew up on, but with a more of a modern twist to it. That’s what I was going for while we were recording the song. We have done many covers in the past like Slayer, Destruction, Hallows Eve, Carnivore, Sodom, DRI, and some others. I love playing cover songs of the bands I first found in the underground. I have so many songs I would love to cover some day if the timing is right. In a perfect world i would like to do an all cover release someday down the road before I hang it up.

11.I know over the years Jungle Rot has played many shows and tours around the world. What have been some of the bands most memorable shows over the years?

For me playing Brutal Assault Festival in Czech Republic. Playing in front of 10,000 metal heads and seeing all the people waving flags high in the air supporting us and their country was a beautiful thing and I will always remember. We have been invited back to perform once again in 2019.
And who have been some of your favorite bands to tour and share the stage with?

Some that first come to mind would be Obituary, Immolation, Havok, Deicide, and so many more. All these bands are some of the most down to earth guys I had the pleasure to tour with in my career. They all make it that much easier to be out there on the road for so many days at a time. And I thank them all for that because if you don’t know, the road can be painful at times.

12.Are there any tours planned for the rest of 2018 or early 2019? If yes where will the band be playing and who are some bands, you will be touring with?

We will start up touring again in the Spring of 2019. First up is Europe in April for a headline run alongside a young thrash band called Ultra Violence. Then we will return to Europe in the summer for a festival run including stops at Stonehenge Festival, Brutal Assault Festival, and more. Somewhere in between that we will sneak some North American shows here and there as well.

13.Are there any countries that Jungle Rot has not had the opportunity to play yet that you hope to play someday?

Russia has always been a dream of mine to play one day. I’d love to see their country.

14.How do you feel the underground scene has changed over the years? And what does underground metal mean to you?

I feel it’s always been the same with scene. It’s always up and down when it comes to touring. It really helps being on a good package, it goes a long way today. We also have the next generation of bands stepping up and doing a good job and keeping the flag flying high. Underground music to me is my life, my therapy, and my identity as a musician today.

15.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I’ m really into hunting, That’s my get away from it all.

16.Thank you Dave for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final words for the readers?

Thank you. Remember get out to a show and show some support. Try to buy some merch from the touring bands if you can. It goes along way.

Cheers!

Dave!!!

Facebook.com/igotjunglerot
Instagram.com/jungle_rot