Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Interview with Norway's Deathfare done by Patrick posted on 7-6-16

Hello
Here  is  a  new  interview  with the  Norweigan  death  metal  band  Deathfare  who  discuss  the  their  debut  release  "Shotgun   Surgery"   and the  bands  future plans.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com





Interview  with  Robert  Bassist  of   Deathfare   done  by    Patrick





1.Hello  Robert  how  are  things  going  with  you  these  days?Please   introduce  yourself  to  the  readers?

Hello! Well, I am bass player, but currently I am focusing more on my film making. You can check out some of my work on www.robertvawter.com You readers might find the documentary Riding the Apocalypse interesting. Its a sort of an experimental road/tour movie I shot of Mayhem back in 09. Its available on my page for free!  I am also a hobby photographer, https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertjtvawter/


2.At  what  age did  you  first  discover  metal  music and  who  were some  of the first  bands  you   listened  to?


Thinking about it, I didn't really listen seriously to music before I started playing in a band around when I was 15. I remember looking at bass guitar and thinking wow, those things looks great and sound interesting. I Finally bought a cheap Ibanez six string and started a band called Graabein with a friend. We were discussing what kind of music we where going to play and he put on Satyricon with the song Nemesis Divina. My brain exploded. I could say I like it, but I didn't hate it neither. It was just so different from what I had ever heard before. But we ended up playing black metal, which opened my ears to a lot of bands.

I didn't really listen a lot to Satyricon though, but more to Darkthrone, which I found a bit more groovy. We played some Black Sabbath, because it was fairly easy to play and sounded groovy as hell. I was also very influenced with Carpathian forest, because it has such a prominent aggressive bass sound.







3.When  did you  first  meet the  other  members  of  Deathfare  and  was  it  long  before you  all  formed  the  band?

Deathfare started several year before I joined them and had releasing some demos and EPs. I knew the band well. A lot of great local musicians had played there. Deathfare was kind of a harbor for metal musicians, which would come and play, leaving behind riffs and lyrics when they left the band (a lot of these riffs are in the Shotgun Surgery Album). When they lost their former bass player, I got a call from our the former vocalist in Deathfare asking if I wanted to come and play for them. When we got a new vocalist and new guitar player we started working on our debut album.



4.What  is  the   current  line-up  of  Deathfare? And  for the  readers  who  have   never   heard   Deathfare's   music  how  would  you  best  describe  it?


Deathfare simply but; filthy extreme death metal with high groove factor.


Our current line up is:
Nidhogg - Batterist

R.T.Drome - Bass

C. Tjessem - Guitar

Nikki - Vox

M.Wiig - Guitar






5.Deathfare   is  getting  ready  to  release  the  debut  "Shotgun  Surgery" how  long  did  it take  to  write  the  music  for the  songs  on  the debut  release?  Does  the   whole  band  take  part  in  the writing  process  or  does  one  member   usually  write  everything ?

It took along time to finish. I released over the years, both as a musician and film maker that art takes time - when you think something takes 1 month it will in reality take 4 months. This was also the case with shotgun Surgery. From the time we had recorded everything to we had a release almost 5 years went by. But that doesn't matter. Good things will last and there is no rush.


Our music is very collaborate. Our batterist will have ideas of how the bass should sound like, the guitar players may have some idea about the drums. The vocalist will bring some lyrics or ideas on riffs, the guitar players will do the same. Everyone brings their own ingredient, or have an opinion. Then we will cooking everything together. I think being able to listen to other peoples opinions is an essential skill when working creatively.



 6.Besides  the  debut   does   Deathfare    have  any  other releases  or  merchandise   available  for  the  readers  and  if  yes   where  can the  readers  buy  it  from?


We have some limited patch and T-shirts which we currently haven't setup to sell, and some shirts but we might start selling some merch through our record label Heathen Tribes. Checkout the facebook at https://www.facebook.com/heathentribes/






7.Does  the  band  get  to  play "live"  very  often  or  do you  prefer  to  work  in  the  studio? And  what  have  been  the  bands  most  memorable  shows  to  date?


We haven't played live in years. But we will do some day. We love playing live, but we are in no rush and not really perusing to play live.


We had a great show back in 2013 which was the last time we played. You can check out some live performance here:



 8.Are  their  any  tours  or  shows  coming  up  that the  fans  should  watch  out  for?


We will let you know on our facebook page






9.Deathfare  comes   out  of  the  Norwegian death  metal  scene  what  is  your   opinion  of  Norway's  death  metal  scene?

In my opinion Norwegian death metal can be a bit too experimental and «avant-garde-ish I like my death metal brutal and straight forward.


10.Who  are  some  of your  all-time  favorite  Norweigan  bands? Are their   any  new  bands  coming  out  of the  Norweigan  scene  you  feel  the  readers  should  watch  out  for?


In terms of straight forward death metal, Blood Red Throne is one of my favorites, which I also was fortunate to make a  music video for the song Taste of God.  And of course Obliteration, which is more thrashy. Horizon Ablase which is leaning more towards the experimental black metal. Killing for Company, Goat the Head. And of course the black metal band Carpathian Forest and Mayhem

Also the Norwegian band Shining, is producing some great death jazz. I love their music video «Fisheye» directed by my friend Leif Kyrre Larsen.





11.When  not   listening to  death  metal  do  you  enjoy  listening  to  any  other  forms  of  metal  or  music  in  general?

I listen to grind core, like Rompeprop (which my one year old daughter loves) and stoner/sludge music. I have also been listening to Ambient and noise music like Merzbow, NON, Nocturnal Emissions. Also Matta is an interesting dubstep band from England.





12.Robert  are  you  or  any  of  the  members  currently  working  and   playing  with  any  other  bands  at this  time? If  yes   please  tell  the  readers  a  little  about  them?


Our batterist Nidhogg is currently playing in a black metal band called The Konsortium from Stavanger. A great black metal band.






13.What  does  underground   metal   mean  to  you?

Mmmm… That 's a hard question to answer living in this digital age. More and more underground is becoming available on the same platform as commercial music through places like Spotify.

But to me underground metal or music has this grittyness to it. Often music that is challenging to listen to. I like that.


 14.When  not   working  on  new  music  or  band  business  what  do  you  enjoy  doing  in your  free  time?


As mention I do film making. But also I am volunteering together with a local NGO on helping victimes of sexual violence in DR. Congo (check out the work at https://greatactions.org) I think too a certain extent death metal is to blame for my interest in Congo and the brutality going on there. Death metal can be several things - just music I enjoy, but also a comment on the human condition, illustrating the underlying evil potential that I believe lies with in all of us. Metal music connects us with our ancestral brutality, something I have been very interested in exploring. To me, personally, this is what we to in Deathfare through humor and music.




15.Thank  you  Robert   for  taking  the  time  to  fill  this  interview  out   do  you   have  any  final   comments    for  the  readers?

Thank Patrick you for letting me spew my words on your fine webpage.