Sunday, October 19, 2014

Interview with Innsmouth done by Patrick on 10-19-14

Hails 
Here  is  a   new  interview  done  with  Denmark's "Innsmouth"   with  their   debut  cd   "The  Shadow Over   Innsmouth" through  Crime  Records  a  defintly  good  and  varied  release  with  some  technical death metal  thrash  and  anything  else   they  want  to  combine  a  good  release  and  worth  checking  out  if  your  a  fan  of tech death metal  with  some  thrashy  influences.
Metal  Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com




Interview with Thor Sejersen guitars for Innsmouth done by Patrick



1.Greetings  Thor  when  did  you  first  become  interested  in  playing  the  guitars?Are  you  self taught  or  did  you  take  lessons  when  first   starting  out?

Hello there.
I listened to Heavy Metal bands such as Metallica, Manowar and Alice Cooper when i was a kid, and then kinda forgot about it for several years. Then when i was around 14 years old, I rediscovered it all. I started listening to Metal all the time and became really interested in learning how to play the guitar. It was the song ”One”  by Metallica that made me decide that i wanted to give it a try. I remember having no clue as to how they made music like that but I found it incredibly fascinating. The fast solo toward the end of ”One” totally blew me away, and i knew i had to learn how to play like that! I took lessons for the first two years learning all the basic stuff. After that i started learning from instructional videos by great players such as Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, Michael Angelo Batio, John Petrucci etc. I also took lessons in music theory throughout high school.





2.Who  are  some  of  your  biggest  influences/favorite  guitarist?Do  you  currently  play  any  other  instruments?


Here are a couple of my favorite players from the top of my head: Paul Gilbert, George Bellas, Kiko Loureiro, Raphael Bittencourt, Michael Lee Firkins, Mattias Eklundh, Todd Duane, Herman Li, Sam Totman, Buckethead, Karl Logan, Andy Timmons, Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, Michael Angelo Batio, John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, Shawn Lane etc.
I can play the bass decently, but I dont consider myself a bassist.





3.Thor  when  did  you  first  meet  the  other  members  of  Innsmouth? How  did  you  all  come  up  with  the name  of  the  band?



We met each other in our teenage years through mutual friends. We shared a common interest in Heavy Metal music, so we became friends and stayed in contact. Throughout the years we have played in various bands in the danish underground metal scene, occasionally in the same bands. Back in 2006, Kim (vocals) and I had an idea of starting a Black Metal band. For various reasons, this band wasn't formed until december 2012. We then convinced Martin (bass) to join us. When we started writing the songs, we gradually changed our style into Death Metal. The name ”Innsmouth” comes from the H.P. Lovecraft novel ”The Shadow over Innsmouth”. We are inspired a great deal by his writings, and this is reflected in the lyrics. So we ended up using ”Innsmouth” as our bandname since it relates to our lyrics, and because we went for a Lovecraftian mood in our lyrics.



4. Innsmouth   is  getting  ready  to  release  their  debut  cd  "The  Shadow Over   Innsmouth" through  Crime records.How  long  did  it  take  the  band  to  write  the  music  for  the  songs?



I had written rough forms of three of the songs back in 2010. I presented them to the other guys and they liked them. I then reworked those songs and made the song structures better. This process as well as writing the other five songs on the album took four months.




5.Does  the  whole  band   work  on  the  music  or  does  one or  two  members  usually  write everything?For  the  readers  who  have  never  heard   Innsmouth's  music  how  would  you  describe  the  sound?



Usually I write the songs and most of the material. Martin and Kim contribute music and lyrics, and then I try to shape songs out of their input or incorporate it into the songs that I am writing. All in all, the final structure of each song is something that I take care off, even though the other guys can at anytime say if they want something to be changed.
I would describe our sound as surprising, unique, disturbing, eerie, impressive, brutal and unpredictable. If you like metal with lots of twists and turns, then you will like us.


6.Who   usually  writes  the  lyrics  for  the   band where  do  you  all  draw  inspiration  for  them?


I write the majority of the lyrics. I find inspiration in the writings of authors such as H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe and Stephen King. I also find inspiration in various movies, mostly horror movies. I keep a document where i write down all the cool words and themes that I come across. I then later incorporate stuff from this document in the lyrics that I write. Kim also contributes lyrics. He sends me his lyrics online, I look at what he writes and then I try to figure out where his lyrics will fit.


7.Does   Innsmouth   play  "live"  very  often  or  do  you  prefer  to  work  in  the  studio?Who   are  some  bands   Innsmouth   have  shared   the  stage  with?


Innsmouth haven't played live yet. We did however use to play live in other bands when we were younger. We have all shared the stage with a great danish band called 100 Knives Inside that sadly disbanded. Kim's former band shared stage with bands such as Mercenary, Bibleblack and Pretty Maids.



8.Are  their  any  tours/shows  coming  up  for  the  new  release  "The  Shadow Over   Innsmouth"? If  yes  where  are  some  countries/places  the  band  will  be  playing? If  you  could  set  up  a   dream tour  who  are  some  bands{past  or  present} you  would  like  to  share   the  stage  with?




Innsmouth will not be playing live anytime soon. The initial idea of the band was to write, record and release great music. This remains our plan as for now. We are already in the writing process for our next album.
Some bands that I would like to share stage with would be bands like: Manowar, Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Rhapsody of Fire and many others!



9.Innsmouth   comes  out  of  the  Denmark  metal  scene  what  is  your   opinion  of  Denmark's  metal  scene?


The Danish Metal Scene is somewhat diverse. There are all kinds of bands representing various sub-genres. So whatever sub-genre you are into, you can usually find some bands playing that particular style.




10.Who  are  some  of  your  all time  favorite  bands  from   Denmark? Are  their  any  new  bands   you  feel   the  readers  should  check  out?


My all time favorite band from Denmark is ”Beyond Twilight”. The band is usually considered danish despite only having two danish members. This is probably due to the fact that the mastermind and composer behind the band, Finn Zierler is a dane. They only released three albums before disbanding, which is a shame, but those three albums means a lot to me, and are totally unique.
King Diamond have also made a multitude of great albums with amazing guitar shredding on all of them! My favorite King Diamond albums would probably be ”Abigail” and ”Them”.



11.What  does  the  term  Underground  Metal   mean  to  you?


To me, Underground Metal is a term describing metal bands and musicians that aren't getting exposed to the masses.


12.Thor  are   you  or  any of  the  members  of   Innsmouth    currently  working  with  side bands  or  projects?


I am working on my solo project. It is gonna be in the style of the 80´s style shred metal. I released a demo consisting of four tracks in this style back in 2010, and now I am working on a full length album.



13.When  not  working  on  band  music  or  business  what  do  you  enjoy   doing  in  your    spare  time?


I usually spend time with my girlfriend, practice guitar, listen to music, read books or watch movies.



14.Well  we  have  reached  the   end  of  the  interview  thank  you  for  taking  the  time  to fill  this  out  do  you   have  any  final  words  for  the  readers?


It has been my pleasure answering your questions. I would like to thank everyone who have supported us, everyone who buys our album, and everyone who supports music in general by buying albums instead of downloading them illegall



                                                   Label     Contact
                                               http://crimerecords.no/

                                                 Band   Contact
                            https://www.facebook.com/frostkoldmetal