Monday, January 9, 2017

interview with Poland's Schizophrenic black metal Illness done on 1-9-17

Hails
Here  is  a   new  interview  with  the  Polish/Norwegian  black/Schizophrenic  band  Illness who  talk  about  their  news  release  "Trvmna"  and  the  bands  past  and  future. Anyone  who  is  into  blackend  metal  with  some  added  violent and crazed  parts  defintly  will  want  to  check  out  Illness   today.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com









Interview  with   Gulnar  vocalist,guitarist   for  Illness   done  by   Patrick






 1. Hails  Gulnar   please  introduce  yourself  to  the  readers?When  did  you  first  meet  Carrion  who  handles the  bass  and  keyboards  for  Illness?

Hail. I am Gulnar leader of Polish / Norwegian Black Schizophrenic Metal horde ILLNESS. I also have few side projects and one of them is A.H.P, which with I lately released debut album. I was also a member or session member of few other black metal bands as well as dark ambient projects in the past.
I met Carrion in 1996 at our friends place. We start to talk about creating a band around 1999. It took us 2 years before we actually did it.






 2.  Illness    was  formed   in  2001  what  gave you  the  idea  to  start this  band? How  did you  choose  the  name     Illness   for  the  name  of the  band?

The idea was to to create sick black metal, different from the others. Like I said earlier, we have talked about making a band/project together since 1999. Back then I was a member of Black/Pagan project Nawiia. We recorded  debut album and I left from the band. Carrion took my place. After a while he quit too, and we have decided that this is the right time to make our plans real. I came up with the name. We were looking for something sick, so Illness was obvious choice, beside there was no other band with this name back then.





3.  Illness   recently  released  their  newest  cd  "Trvmna"  how  long  did  it  take  the  band  to  write  and  record  the  songs  on  this  release? Do  you  both  work on the  music  or  does  one  member  usually  write  everything?



Trvmna was released almost a year ago. We wrote this material in 2012/13.
Recording session took place in Monroe Sound Studio in september 2013 and we were producing it till april of 2014. We've been  as usual working together on music for this album.
I made all guitar songs, Carrion handle keyboard ones.







4.Gulnar    what  are  some  topics that you  write  about  for the  music and  does it  take  long  to  write the  lyrics for the  songs?



It depends : if this is lyrics for Illness I mainly write about mental disorder, fear, alcohol/drugs, death, depression….If its for A.H.P. I am trying to concentrate on scorn and hatred towards humanity. It usually take me few hours to write one lyric cause I am also trying to fit them into song while writing.




 5.  Illness   was  first  started  in  2001   how  would  you  say  the  music  has  changed  over the  years?Who  are  some  of the  bands biggest  influences?



First of all when we were making music for our debut album (which was lost during recording) it was keyboards that was the main instrument. I was adding guitar lines to it later on. In 2003 we quit rehearsing and we divided our music on guitar one and keyboard one. We added insane fast computer drums and furious vocals and this way
 we have created BLACK SCHIZOPHRENIC METAL. Since then we were naturally progressing… we have add some thrash elements and live drums to go even further.
On new album which we will record this autumn, we have again mix guitars with keyboards but we did it in the same vein as we did in “Zaraza” (track that appeared on Arkona/Illness split).
ILLNESS’ biggest influences are early BM bands like Mysticum, Thorns, Mayhem, Tsatthoggua…. Industrial bands like Profanum, GGFH, Current 93…. Classic Music like Chopin, Debussy, Grieg… as well as whole bunch of movie soundtracks…





6.Besides  the  newest cd  "Trvmna"    are  any  of the  past releases  still  available and  other then  cd's  does the  band  have  any other  merchandise  available  for  the  readers?



Some of them are still available. Check out ILLNESS’ :
store http://illnesshorde.com/shop.html
bandcamp http://illness666.bandcamp.com/ 
discogs https://www.discogs.com/label/642849-Paranoic-Abyss-Productions
All info about ILLNESS www.illnesshorde.com











7.Gulnar   you   handle  the  vocals  for  the  band  when did you  first  become  interested  in screaming/singing?Do  you  do  anything  special  to  keep  your  throat  and  voice   healthy  when  recording  new music? Who   are  some of your  favorite  vocalists?




I was into singing since I was a kid. I started as a vocalist in a first band when I was 15. I drink a lot of beer and smoke a lot to keep my vocal in good shape hahaha. Seriously I 've start to train my vocal again a little bit lately cause I had a break for last 11 years. There is/was plenty of good vocalists out there. Grishnackh of Burzum, Gaamalzagoth of Moonblood, Northwind of Tsatthoggua, Legion/Mortuus of Marduk just to name few.







 8.Other  then  the  vocals  you   handle  the  guitars  for  the  band  when  did you  start  playing the  guitars? Are  you  self taught  or  did you take  lessons  when  first  starting  out?




I have started when I was 15 and I've learned everything by myself







9.Who  are  some  of your  influences and  favorite  guitarists? Besides  the  vocals  and  guitars  do  you  currently  play  any  other  instruments?



I don’t have a favorite one. Basically I am not so much into skilled guitarists. I prefer those for whom atmosphere is the most important not those who want to show you how well they can play, if you know what I mean.
Bass if I have to, haha. I am planning to start to learn to play on drums cause so far I only know how to program them. The same goes with keyboards…





10. Gulnar   other  then  playing  in  Illness  you  also  are  in the  one man  band  A.H.P  what gave  you  the  idea  to  start this  band? 




In 2011 I was cooperating with some ambient project where I’ve met Outro. He was also a vocalist in brazilian project called Abismo. Outro asked if we could create raw BM project together. I was into that but I also wanted to mixed it with ambient. Outro didn't like it that much so he left after when we recorded demo. I was planning to start new ambient project before, that but I guess Outro helped me in a way...





11.As  mentioned  you  are the  sole  member  for    A.H.P   have  you  thought  of  looking  for   new  members  or  do   you  prefer to  work  alone?If  you   had  the  opportunity  to  work  with  any  musicians{past  or  present}  who  would  you   like  to  work  with?






I am looking for members interested in playing live with A.H.P. Like I said earlier I wasn't planning that A.H.P. will become my solo project. It was more accidental cause of lack of proper vocalist. I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular who I would like to cooperate with as A.H.P.
When it come to ILLNESS I am looking for a skilled drummer who can handle live parts on new Illness album.








 12.What  releases  and  merchandise  is  available  from   A.H.P ?  Where  can  the  readers  buy  it from?





I still have few copies of A.H.P. demo on tape and cdr pro format and of course A.H.P. debut album “Against Human Plague” cd format. You can also buy it in Via Nocturna’s webstore ofcourse http://www.vianocturna.com/releases/a-h-p-against-human-plague/
. Hopefully some t shirts will be available in september. Any questions about merch should be sended to ahphorde@gmail.com 






 13.How   do  you  feel   Illness's  music  is  different  from   A.H.P ?



ILLNESS is Black Schizophrenic Metal and A.H.P. is Black Scar Ambient, they are both Black Metal but they are completely different. Starting from lyrics (as I mentioned above) ending on music. A.H.P. is more simple, spontaneous and straight forward. On top of that, mixed with ambient. ILLNESS is more sick, more complex, more planned, based on different background. Everything has to be perfect here… You will understand it completely when you will finish to listen to ILLNESS' new album





14.Thank  you    Gulnar   for  taking  the  time  to  fill  this  interview  out.Do  you  have   any  final   words  for the  readers?




Thanks Patrick for the chance to present Illness and A.H.P. at your blogspot.
Support my bands and projects by listening and buying my records
Visit www.illnesshorde.com and www.vianocturna.com