Friday, January 6, 2017

Interview with Kratornas done by Patrick on 1-6-17

Hails
Here  is  a  new  interview  done  with  the  underground  legendary  band  "Kratornas"  who  discuss  the  bands  long  history  and  future  plans  along  with  the  newest  full-length  "Devoured By  Damnation" .So  if you  are  a  fanatic   of  old-school  black  metal  mixed  with  early,crazed  grind  then  be sure to  buy the  new  release  today.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com
https://twitter.com/PDeathrasher
https://plus.google.com/110515263288050247357?hl=en



Interview   with  Zachariah vocals and guitarist for  Kratornas  done  by   Patrick



1.Hails Zachariah please  introduce  yourself to  the  readers? At  what  age did you  get  into  metal  music and  who  were some  of the first  bands you  listened to?

I grew up in a household of “hippies” and started very young, literally. The song I can remember that really catches my attention was “One More for the Rodeo” (UFO). Things changed in the 90s, this is when I started writing to other maniacs overseas and I’m on my own.  
 
 
2.You  formed    Kratornas   back  in  1995   when did you get  the  idea  to  start this  band?Did  you  plan  to  work  as  a  one  man  band  or  did you  look for  other  members  when  first  starting out?

I formed Kratornas right after the real band (that I’m in; guitars/vocals) disbanded. No plans being in a ‘one man band’. I’ve been looking and jamming with people that I think fit but only left disappointed. I’ve done this while recording Demo 1995. However, after wasting my 1996 meddling with morons, I’ve finally decided to push thru all alone and released a very bad sounding demo in 1997. That’s the real start. 
 

3.As  mentioned   Kratornas   was  formed  in  1995  how  do  you  feel  the  bands  music  has  changed  over the  years and  who  were  some  bands  that  inspired   Kratornas   style  and sound?

The music remains the same since 1999. It was all like this since its inception. OK, maybe sounded different in Demo 1995 and Demo 1997 but the speed is always there and it’s not going anywhere. Bands were Bathory (all), Deicide (all), Unleashed (Where No Life Dwells), Terrorizer, Brutal Truth (ECDER), Vader (all), Sadus (Illusions) and Morbid Saint. 
 
 
4. Kratornas   is  getting  ready to  release  the newest  cd  "Devoured By Damnation" how  long  did  it  take  you to  write  the  music  for  the  new  release?
 
The songs were all inside my head and only waiting for the right location to be ignited. I also got like 4 C90 blank tapes filled with riffs. All these were written when I was younger – it’s sloppy but some were very aggressive. I’m only taking out what I can use.

5.Besides  "Devoured By Damnation"  are  of   Kratornas   past  releases  still  available  for the readers to buy? Besides  releases  do you  have  any  other  merchandise  available  if yes  what  is  available  and where can  the  readers  buy  it?
 
All the past releases were so bad that only wackos want to hear it – let alone spend money on it. There’s a website (www.kratornas.com), anyone can go there for information. However, if it’s not listed in there then it’s not there.
 
 
6.Zachariah you  have   been  a  part  of  the  underground  metal scene  for  many  years  how  do you  feel  the  scene  has changed  since the  early 90's?And  what  does  underground  metal  mean to you?
 
Underground to me is standing on your own, embracing the DIY culture and be creatively different. Indeed the scene has changed, now filled by anonymous smart asses but so what? I just moved on, adapt, do what I want to do and ignore the rest.
 
7.Zachariah I  believe  you  lived  in  the  Philippines  but  you  recently  relocated  to  Canada  what  made you  decide  to  move  to  Canada?
 
I’ve been living in Canada for 3 years now and haven’t ‘seen’ the Philippines since then. The decision is random since Canada is really not the first on the list. Before this, I was in England (like 6 months) but gaining residency in the UK is impossible so I’ve moved again. This is not about ‘working in a boat’ or ‘working abroad’ or shit like that. I’ve spent money myself, pick the country that I want to be in and live there literally. A lot of shit going on the past 6 years but it happened so fast that it was all a total blur now. The next thing I can remember is that I woke up on a plane (again!) heading to Vancouver”. It was all crazy experience that will not happen again. 
 
8.How  do  you  like  living  in  Canada ? Are  their  any  other  places  or  countries  that  you  would  like to  visit  someday?

Yes, Egypt (to see the Pyramids at Giza) – until now I’m still interested knowing all the ‘mysteries’ that lies behind it. Living in Canada is, like I’ve said, I can easily adapt to whatever environment that I am in so it’s not a big deal.
 
9.Zachariah you  also  added  a  drummer  to  Kratornas  when did you first  meet Guzzarin  and  how  is  it  going  working  with  him?

GB Guzzarin is just a name that will be use by ANY drummers hammering an album for Kratornas. I didn’t “meet” him by accident. I drop him an email, ask him about what he do and that’s it. 
 
 
10.Will you  try to  look  for  more  members to  make   Kratornas  a  full band  or  do you  prefer to  work  as  two  piece?

No, we’re good here. It would be useless to add another member just for recording purposes alone. 
 
11.You  handle  the  vocals  for the  band  when did you first  start  screaming  and  growling? Is their  anything  special  you do to  keep your  throat and voice  healthy?Who  are  some  of your  favorite vocalists?
 
I don’t think doing vocals (in this kind of music) has any formula or secret – you just gather all the hate and scream your lungs out. The key ingredient in keeping a voice healthy is common sense. This is not a string that you can replace, otherwise you’re fucked. I have no ‘favorites’ but any vocalist carrying an instrument has my respect.  
 
12.Other then  the  vocals  you  also  play  the  guitars  at  what  age did you  become interested  in  playing  the  guitars?Are you  self taught  or did you  take  lessons  when  first  starting  out?

I grew up ‘surrounded’ by guitarists, I simply learned guitar at a very young age. So yes, I’m self-taught. All they gave me was a chord book, LPs that I like for a reference, and a couple of Betamax/VHS where I can watch how it is being done. I envy these new generations of guitarist. Everything they want to know is a click away. You just can’t do that back then.
 
 
13.Besides  the  vocals  and  guitars  do  you  currently  play  any  other  instruments if yes  what  do you  play? Are  their  any  instruments  you  would  like  to  learn to play  someday?

I played bass guitar for all of the songs in this new album but of course, that is still a guitar. I have no interest learning other instruments, if you mean like drums. That is nothing but a distraction. 
 
14.Besides  working  in    Kratornas   do  you  currently  work  with  any  other  bands  or  solo projects?

No… Kratornas is enough. All energy and invocations were all in here but It’s funny you asked because lately I knew that there’s a lot of one man bands with 46 other bands and actually is the same person doing everything again - ALONE! I think that’s what you call “prolific” nowadays. How time flies, right… 
 
15.Thank  you   Zachariah  for  taking  the  time to  fill  this  interview  out  do  you  have  any  final  words  for  the  readers?

Thank you for having me here.