Goddess is a recently renamed band from Sweden (they were formerly Goatess and had three full lengths under that name, and I personally think this is a fine name that makes their album title work better, but Goddess will do as well) with a very old take on metal, being firmly in the Black Sabbath camp. I usually don't review doom metal because I'm not as familiar with the nuances and the influence of stoner rock on the genre, which is definitely the case here, but in the case of Goddess the release is so good that I want to review it and get the word out. There's enough traditional doom here for me to sink my teeth into and enjoy this, as well as enabling me to talk about it intelligently. The vocals are what make the record for me. The rich vocal melodies and occult-influenced lyrics really push this into a new territory musically, one where I'll gladly listen to this over and over. It's a powerful performance, and one that deserves multiple listens because it's that damn good. The bottom line is that if you like Sabbath, you'll like Goddess. I perhaps like them more than Sabbath for the vocals (well, at least until Dio takes over for Ozzy). This is top notch stoner doom and has dark enough lyrics for my tastes on top of it all. If all doom had lyrics like this, I would probably listen to more of it! I really do enjoy the darkness of it all.
Friday, August 14, 2026
Goddess--Ritual of the Cloven Hoof (CD/LP) (2026 Majestic Mountain Records)
Goddess is a recently renamed band from Sweden (they were formerly Goatess and had three full lengths under that name, and I personally think this is a fine name that makes their album title work better, but Goddess will do as well) with a very old take on metal, being firmly in the Black Sabbath camp. I usually don't review doom metal because I'm not as familiar with the nuances and the influence of stoner rock on the genre, which is definitely the case here, but in the case of Goddess the release is so good that I want to review it and get the word out. There's enough traditional doom here for me to sink my teeth into and enjoy this, as well as enabling me to talk about it intelligently. The vocals are what make the record for me. The rich vocal melodies and occult-influenced lyrics really push this into a new territory musically, one where I'll gladly listen to this over and over. It's a powerful performance, and one that deserves multiple listens because it's that damn good. The bottom line is that if you like Sabbath, you'll like Goddess. I perhaps like them more than Sabbath for the vocals (well, at least until Dio takes over for Ozzy). This is top notch stoner doom and has dark enough lyrics for my tastes on top of it all. If all doom had lyrics like this, I would probably listen to more of it! I really do enjoy the darkness of it all.
