Saturday, May 28, 2022

Interview with Angrbodas Curse done on 5-28-22

 





1. Hails Angra how are things going with you these days? Please introduce yourself to the readers?

Hails to all, my name is Angra and my band is Angrbodas Curse (Black Metal) formed in Puerto Rico in 2015 and now based in New York. And so far things are going very well, thank you so much.


2. When did you first discover Black Metal and who were the first bands that caught your attention? Who are some of the current bands that have caught your attention?

I think I was maybe 16 years of age when I did, and the bands that caught my attention were Hate and 1349, after that I kept discovering more and more brutal bands.

And right now, I have to start with a local black metal band from Puerto Rico called, Necronomic, it is a one man band made by Hell Ruler. The music, the lyrics and the raw talent are absolutely outstanding and I’m honestly so proud of how far he has come. Another band has to be Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult which will always be my favorite band and influence, so yes it always has my attention.


3. When did you first become interested in writing and performing music?

I’ve actually  been writing music for years, Though I had never really recorded or performed any of my music until I decided to start Angrbodas Curse.


4. Who are some musicians that you would consider influences?

Onielar from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult and Angela Gossow ex vocalist of Arch Enemy, they are not my only but definitely my top 2 for sure.



5. Angra when did you first get the idea to start Angrbodas Curse and are you satisfied with how things have progressed with the band so far? How did you choose Angrbodas Curse as the band name and does it have a special meaning?

It was 2015 when I decided to start the band, though the official name was chosen in 2016, the way I chose the name was thru reading the sagas and reading about Loki, that’s when I found out she use to be Loki’s first wife and bearer of his children, I decided to research and read more about Angrboða and I was truly fascinated. That’s how it became truly meaningful to me, not only do I have so much respect for Angrboða (She is a jötunn in Norse mythology) but I also feel somehow identified with her saga, it personally empowers me.

And yes I’m absolutely satisfied with how far we’ve come, to me it has all happened in perfect timing and the growth Memphist and I have done as musicians has been truly great.


6. I believe the band is a two person band would you like to add more musicians to do some live shows one day or do you prefer to work in the studio?

Yes, right now it is only Memphist and I, but I would definitely love to add a few more in order to do live shows, something I’m looking forward to do in the near future.


7. Necromantic Grimoire is the debut release how long did it take to write the music for the debut release? How long does it usually take to complete one song?

I believe it took me about two years to write the music for the whole EP. When it comes to writing and completing a song it usually takes me about a month depending on the muse that I feel at the time.


8. Where do you draw inspiration for the lyrics and what are some subjects written about on Necromantic Grimoire?

I’m inspired by female pagan deities especially Angrboða of course, Norse mythology and real live events.

Now on the EP I did focus a song called “Blessing of the Ironwood” fully on Angrboða though I do try to make her presence known on most of my songs. Other subjects are witchcraft, absolute rebellion and embracing the Goddes/God within.


9. Besides the debut Necromantic Grimoire does the band have any other merchandise currently available for the readers to purchase? If yes what is available and where can the readers purchase it?

Yes, you can get some merch and can also get the physical copy of Necromantic Grimoire, through Plague Demon Records, Masters of Chaos, Blasphemous Creations of Hell and Vipers Den, also through the Angrbodas Curse Bandcamp page, where you will find a link on our bio. To our Linktree page and you will be able to find all the pages to buy the CD and merch.


10. What does Black Metal mean to you?

It means that I get to express myself in the most creative and rawest way I can with no limits. To me it is more than just the corpse paint and dressing a certain way, personally it goes way deeper than that, it is somehow very intimate for everybody, giving that every person has a different opinion of to what it means to them. Black metal whether I’m singing/writing it or become the listener it is an escape and comfort for me through its dark lyrics and atmosphere.


11. Besides working with Angrbodas Curse do you currently work with any other bands or solo projects? If yes please tell the readers a little about them?

Not at the moment.


12. Have you started working on new music for the next EP or would you like to do a full length? Any idea when you might be releasing new music?

Absolutely, I am currently working on what would be my first full length album, it will be titled “I am King” and I’m trying to at least have 8 to 10 tracks on it. Unfortunately at the moment I do not have a release date but we are working as hard as we can to be able to release it this year 2022.

And there will be a single as well coming out very soon titled “The Sacred offering” and few more surprises on the way.


13. When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?

I love spending time with my wonderful son and fiancé, reading is a must for me, I like to draw/paint as well, and of course I enjoy listening to music a lot.


14. Thank you Angra for taking time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

I would like to thank you very much for the opportunity to do this interview and also I just want to say how thankful I am for all the support and help I’ve gotten from these amazing labels, Plague Demon Records, Masters of Kaos, Blasphemous Creations of Hell and Vipers Den, I wish them all the most success and I’m truly fortunate to be a part of their family.                                                                          Band  Contacts                                                                                                                                               https://angrbodascurseofficial.bandcamp.com/                                                                                             https://www.facebook.com/angrbodascurse                                                                                                 https://www.instagram.com/angrbodascurse_official/                                                                                 Plague Demon  Records                                                                                                                               https://plaguedemonrecords.storenvy.com/                                                                                                  https://plaguedemonrecords.bandcamp.com/                                                                                               https://www.facebook.com/Plaguedemonrecords.net                                                                                   Masters Of Kaos Productions                                                                                                                       https://mastersofkaos.bandcamp.com/music                                                                                                 https://www.facebook.com/Masters-Of-Kaos-Productions-103153375679760                                           https://masters-of-kaos.creator-spring.com/                                                                                                 Blasphemous Creations  Of Hell Rec.                                                                                                          https://bchrecords.storenvy.com/                                                                                                                 https://blasphemouscreationsofhellrecords1.bandcamp.com/                                                                      https://www.facebook.com/blasphemouscreationsofhellrecords/