Friday, May 5, 2023

Interview with Deformed Slut done on 5-5-23

 


1.Hello Alexandre how are things going with you this week?Please introduce yourself to the readers?

 Alex: Hi Patrick, I'm doing great over here. Always active with routine work and new musical compositions. Answering your other question: My name is Alexandre W.A (Alex), born in Brazil from the city of Curitiba/PR, south of the country. I've been a musician for over 20 years, I've been through some local underground bands, recording physical material with them, and I'm a founding member of DEFORMED SLUT - Brutal Death Metal.


2.At what age did you first discover rock and roll and heavy metal music? 

Alex: Well, that was a long time ago... I remember picking up and listening to CDs and some vinyl from the shelves where my dad kept his private collection. They were mostly hard rock, classic rock albums. I believe this was around my 16/17 years. That's when I discovered the path of good music.


3.What was it that drew you to the more extreme and brutal death metal scene?And who were the first bands and artists that you discovered? Who are some of the current bands that have caught your attention?

 Alex: I've always been a fan of extreme, aggressive and fast music, not only in Death Metal, but in other musical genres as well. I can say with certainty that the first bands I met were: Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel. These were the first bands I got to know and discovered by purchasing the classic albums: 'Eaten Back to Life' and 'Blessed Are the Sick'. I like listening to bands like: Devourment, Pathology, Severe Torture. These bands have powerful and really brutal albums. 


4.What were some of the first concerts that you had the opportunity to witness?Who are some of your favorite bands to see live? 

Alex: The first show that goes and I have good memories was by Deep Purple, in 98, or maybe 99... Then I saw Sepultura, without Max Cavalera. The bands I saw live and enjoyed were: Hypocrisy, Dying Fetus, Carnation. They were incredible shows and they made me listen to their albums countless times after seeing their shows.


5.You started Deformed Slut in 2006 what gave you the inspiration to start this band? Are you satisfied with how things have gone with the band over the years?

 Alex: Yes, I started the first songs in 2005 and the other members of the time appeared in 2006, when we started the first rehearsals. The inspiration and intention has always been to express a raw musicality, always striving for quality, striking and aggressive riffs. It's more or less there! Currently, I can say that is the best moment for Deformed Slut, because I don't depend on anyone for the continuity of the work. In short, the songs come, the releases flow, and I can better organize myself by working with music alone. 


6.Have you always worked as a solo band or would you like to find new musicians to make a full line-up?What do you feel is the hardest and easiest part about being a one man band? 

Alex: At the beginning of the band, we were a quartet. And in the most recent trio formation, we were able to perform some live shows. But, the objective not only in Deformed Slut, as in any other band.. it always ends up going one way, or the other, that makes stability difficult in any group. That's why we see well-known bands with only one or two original members, or founders trying to fit in with too many 'session members' or 'backing musicians'. The easy part, I would say, is being able to handle all the functions of a band, from song compositions thinking about all the instruments, to hearing those songs taking shape and becoming an official track within an album. Nothing is hard work when you feel free to do what you like. The hard part is not being able to find the right people to make the sound you want. There is a huge shortage of qualified musicians to play extreme music around here, that's the main reason for doing all the work as a one-man-band. 


7.If you had the opportunity who are some musicians that you would like to work with if given the chance? 

Alex: Gene Hoglan


8.At The Inhumane Cesspool is the second full length that was released last year.How long did it take to write the music for the this release?How long does it usually take to complete one song?

 Alex: This song in question is from a long time ago, I wrote this and some other songs on this album around the time of the first full length 'Stench Of Carnage', usually, the songs are created from an unexpected inspirational moment, as if the songs were already there on the instrument: guitar or bass, or even with some drum passage/idea. So eventually a riff emerges and a musical structure for a song takes place. I think.. A song can take a few days or weeks to be practically ready.


9.I believe At The Inhumane Cesspool was self-released would you like to find a label to work with on future releases or do you prefer to self release your music? 

Alex: Yes, the second album was released without any label. I still think about releasing something on vinyl, with or without a label, whatever. What matters most to me is making music and recording. 

10.If anyone is interested where can they pick up a copy of the new release?Do you have any other merchandise currently availible if yes where can the readers purchase it? 

Alex: Well, currently the album 'At The Inhumane Cesspool' and the t-shirt referring to the album are only available here and only in the territory of Brazil. I already made some partnerships with some underground labels like: 'Guttural Brutality' and 'Metal Army' both here in Brazil, it's possible that they still have some copies available directly through their website. 


11.At what age did you become interested in writing and playing music?Did you take lessons when first starting out or are you self taught?

 Alex: I started playing and studying guitar around 20 years old, I already had the idea of forming a Metal band and making my own music at that time.


12.What instruments do you currently play?And are their any instruments that you would like to learn how to play one day? 

Alex: I play string instruments, guitar, bass... and also keyboards. But, I would like to play the drums. Who knows someday! 


13.Deformed Slut comes out of Brazil's brutal death metal scene what is your opinion of the scene in Brazil over the years? 

Alex: My opinion is that without a doubt there is room for any band to make their work happen and show up. What will remain is what has quality and what is not so good will disappear. Here in Brazil, there are many bands with a great possibility of having a highlight among the others, without owing anything to already renowned and better known bands. 


14.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Brazil?Are their any new bands you could recomend to the readers?

Alex: Favorite band I would say there are many, but I could mention DEATH as the main one. Carnation is an excellent band!


15.Besides working in Deformed Slut do you currently work with any other bands or solo projects?If yes please tell the readers a little about them? 

Alex: No, at the moment I'm devoting my time only to the music I make myself. Maybe, I'll play again in some or another musical project, but that's not my goal right now.


16.Alexandre when you need to take a break from working on new music what do you like to do in your free time?

 Alex: In my free time, I usually practice physical exercises, take my dog for a walk, and answer interviews ( lol ) 


17.Thank you Alexandre for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final words for the readers?

 Alex: Thank you Patrick for the interview, and for those who made it this far, I invite you to access and follow Deformed Slut's social networks and listen to the songs on your favorite streaming platform. Cheers                                                                                                                                                            Deformed Slut                                                                                                                                                https://www.facebook.com/deformedslut/?ref=ts                                                                                        https://www.instagram.com/deformedslut/                                                                                                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7xjukJlFguzJZK9emhoQcZ                                                                        https://www.youtube.com/user/Cadavericslut