Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Interview withTerragon Posted on 8-31-22

 



1.Hello Manylaethurius how are things going in France these days with you? Please introduce yourself to the readers?

Hi Patrick!

Well the album is out in April! it's going well! Good feedback.

I am Manylaethurius! The only member of Terragon. I played in different bands between 2002 and 2007! That's when I stopped everything. At this time we organized some gigs... Webzine, and during one year we made a fanzine.... Fives years intense.


2. When did you first start listening to metal music and who were the first bands and artists that you listened to?

That was a very long time ago! But I remember it very well! A friend told me listen to this! It was an AC/DC Back In Black tape.. It was in 1983!! And there!!! The revelation… My life changed at this moment.

The same friend lends me, Iron Maiden’s tape Piece Of Mind!! It was a magical moment…

A very well Memory.


3. What age were you when you first discovered Black Metal and what is it about this genre of music that drew in you in?

I started late... at the middle 90’s... I didn't follow the Metal news too much!! I don't remember how I found out! I already listened a lot to Venom, Bathory at the end of the 80’s.... it was in 1995 that I discovered Blut Aus Nord, Evol, Burzum, Cradle Of Filth...

What is it about this genre of music that drew in me in !!! great question !! All !! The sound, the atmosphere, the voices! the keyboard !! the concept...


4. Who were the first Black Metal bands that you discovered and who are some of the current bands that you listen to?

As already stated above!

The first !! it was Blut Aus nord with the album Ultima thulée.. now it’s still my favorite Band ! All evolution of the Burzum's works

It's impossible to tell what I'm listening to!! There are to many...

And I listen to a lot of style.. Music Film, including all of Howard Shore's work for what he did for the Peter Jackson films. Classical Music.. like Prokoviev


5.Terragon was originally started in 1996 when did you first get the idea to start this band? How did you choose Terragon as the name of the band and does it have a special meaning?

It was in 1996 that I started composing in an atmospheric style.. I listened to a lot of bands like Evol, Cradle, Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, darzamat

For the name, the question often comes up

I was looking for a name… I opened a book and I came across it! It is especially the pronunciation that I like to hear! because you have to read it with an E at the end!! Terragone (in French). For the meaning, it is a protective demon of sorcerers and diviner! it was especially the sound of the name that I liked.


6.You originally stopped the band in 2005 why did you have to put the band on hold at this time? Manylaethurius you restarted the band in 2022 what gave you the idea to start the band again?

Officially it was in 2007 that I stopped everything!! the bands, the organization of concerts, the webzine... Everything!!!

I was exhausted and a certain weariness...

It was in 2019 that I began to think about it! I've upgraded to new technologies, everything is really different. learn to use the new equipment. It's in 2020 that I really started to compose seriously again.


7. For the readers who have never heard Terragon how would you describe the musicial style?Who would you say are the bands biggest influences over the years?

I think Terragon is in the style Black Metal Atmospheric. there are very soaring atmospheres. necessarily influence! if I dare say! Blut Aus Nord!! Burzum... And I try to be inspired by other things! I listen to a lot of film music...


8. Chapitre II :Baudelaire is the second full length how long did it take you to write the music for the new release? How long does it usually take to complete one song?

I took my time ! I started in 2019 while learning to use my equipment... but in parallel I was helped by Necron from Gergovia, here is his bandcamp https://gergovia.bandcamp.com/. It's in 2021 that I really started to compose...

It's hard to say how long it takes to compose a song! it all depends on the complexity! for example! Dance Macabre, took me much more time than La destruction, which took me one evening... And everything is not done at once! I start several songs and I come back to them later.


9. Where do you draw inspirations for the lyrics and what are some subjects written about on the new release?

You may not know the poet Charles Baudelaire, but this whole album is a musical setting of some of his poems... I chose them according to what evoked me the most feelings.

The textual inspiration did not come! and I wanted very much to put this poet in music! it is really a character out of the common


10. I believe you self released this cd did you plan to self-release it or would you like to find a label to work with for future releases?

In fact ! I released it in collaboration with the label AcidVicious.

https://www.facebook.com/AcidViciousFanzine

I hope the next ones will be with him! It's a small label in the underground.


11. I believe you are the sole member of the band did you plan to work alone or would you like to find more musicians to work with in order to do some live shows one day?

I want to remain the one and only composer for Terragon. That said!! for the next one, I'll normally have two tracks, with a female voice, but too early to elaborate!

At the time we were covering a Terragon track in concert with my other band Spectrums Of Oblivion. But no! Terragon will never perform live.


12. What do you feel is the easiest and hardest part about being a one man band?If you had the opportunity to work with any musicians who would you like to work with?

Everything is easier.... I don't see any disadvantage. If I had to be with other people! I would start a new group. Obviously! it would be with Gorth, the guitarist of spectrums Of Oblivion! My friend Necron, Vicomte of Neurasthenie another very good friend!! If they read these lines!! it is not necessarily a call! I answer the question!!


 13. If you had the opportunity to make a music video for any of your songs which song would you like to see made into a music video?

Without hesitation! Dance Macabre, but it would be complicated and too expensive! It will remain in my memory.


14. What does Black Metal mean to you? And how do you feel it has changed over the years?

Philosophically, a state of mind! a marginal environment. For my part, I am more on the Musicial aspect, a violence in an atmosphere of melody...

As for the evolution! I think that it is more and more accessible... the sound is really working! more and more groups call for symphonic orchestras! like Satyricon... it is really a beautiful evolution...

I won't go into the political aspect, it doesn't interest me.


15.Terragon comes out of France's Black Metal scene what is your opinion of France's Black Metal scene over the years?

The French scene is very rich ! The number of albums released is colossal... But I confess that I don't take the time to discover all that... I listen to a lot of music every day when I work, but I stay on the classics! we always had a very prolific scene in France!


16. Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of France and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?

I'm going to repeat myself! but really the top for me is Blut Aus Nord! We also had bands like Nehëmah, Apostasia, Anorexia Nervosa, Belenos, Aes Dana, Gergovia Hail Necron! Seth ..... and many others


17. When not working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

If I don't make music! I watch series! that's all!

But my main occupation is music! Chapitre III is almost finished.. I'm going to record the voices in October.


18.Thank you Manylaethurius for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

Thank you very much for the attention! I'll see you soon for the chapter III! which will be exclusively dedicated to the poems of the Lord of the Rings.                                                                                          Terragon links                                                                                                                                                https://xterragonx.bandcamp.com/