Saturday, August 10, 2019

Interview with Devourment done by Patrick posted on 8-10-19


Interview with Brad Fincher drummer for Devourment done by Patrick

1.Hello Brad how are things going with you these days?Please introduce yourself to the readers?
Brad: Hi there! I'm Brad Fincher, drummer and co-founder of Devourment. Things are great!

2.When did you first start listening to death metal and who were the first bands that caught your attention?Who are some of the new bands that have caught your attention?
Brad: The first exposure to death metal or proto-death metal I had was Napalm Death's 'Harmony Corruption' and Sepultura 'Arise'. I was blown away by the intensity and heaviness. Then I got into proper death metal with Death 'Human', Morbid Angel and Deicide. From there I just kept trying to find the next heavier thing.

3.Brad you started Devourment back in 1995 what gave you the idea to start this band?Are you happy with how things have progressed over the years?
Brad: I got the idea to start Devourment from the fact I loved all these bands at the time but I never liked their full songs or albums. I wanted to take all the parts I liked from my favorite bands and use them to create a Frankenstein's Monster of what I wanted to hear that I felt no one else was doing. I couldn't be happier with how things have progressed, even if I wasn't involved in all of it. The DNA of Devourment was always there. I'm beyond hyped that I have the opportunity to come back and take the Devourment I created and the Devourment that was and evolve it all forward with the current lineup.

4.Who do you feel are the bands biggest influences and have they stayed the same over the years?
Brad: The influences have been the same from the beginning. Mainly because I think the bands and albums that inspired me have a timeless quality to the songwriting and they all pushed the form to such extremes that hold up even today. Maybe moreso. Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Internal Bleeding, Disgorged, Scattered Remants, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Pyrexia, Mortician.

5.Obscene Majesty is Devourment's newest full length release how long did it take the band to write the music for the new release?How long would you say it takes to complete one song?
Brad: We took the better part of 4 years or so off and on to complete the album. Though Chris had some of these songs in a complete form years before that. It was a refining process as well and creating. I think if you ask any musician how long it takes to complete a song just depends on the song. Some come together in a couple of weeks. some take months. It took a little time for Chris and I to get in a room and start putting these songs together but we've really found our rhythm now and songs are coming much faster.

6.Besides the upcoming Obscene Majesty are the bands previous releases still available for the readers to purchase?Besides physical releases does the band have any other merchandise currently available for the readers to purchase if yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?
Yes the previous releases are still available. For all Obscene Majesty merch just go to
http://relapse.com/devourment-obscene-majesty/

7.What have been some of Devourment's most memorable shows and tours over the years?Who have been some of your favorite bands to share the stage with?
Brad: We haven't done a lot of touring per se, it's mostly been festivals over the past 5 years or so. But playing some shows in South America with Internal Bleeding was definitely a high point. Getting to share great times with our dearly departed brother, Bill Tolley, RIP. Other bands we have played with that we always love sharing stages with are Mortician, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, The Black Dahlia Murder, Deicide, Immolation. Really looking forward to our shows with Despised Icon in October.

8.Are their any shows or tours coming up in support of the new release?If yes where will the band be playing and who are some bands you will share the stage with?
Brad: No tours this year. A couple Texas dates with Despised Icon. I'm sure we'll be doing more touring in 2020.

9. Devourment comes out of Texas brutal death metal scene what is your opinion of the scene in Texas over the decades? Do you feel it has gotten stronger or stayed the same?
Brad: The TXDM scene is definitely a haven of some killer bands. I think like many scenes it has ups and downs.

10.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Texas and are their any new ones you feel the readers should check out soon?
Brad: Honestly I haven't been to enough shows to say. I recall all the old school TXDM bands that had a big impact on me like Imprecation, Disencumbrance, Embodyment, Oblation, Truncator, Embalmed,Bael.

11.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Brad: Video Games, movies. I'm a huge nerd.

12.Brad when did you first become interested in playing the drums and are you self taught or did you take lessons when first starting out?
Brad: I actually started by playing guitar in high school bands. I wanted to be Joe Satriani haha. Every time we'd have a band practice I'd wind up on the drums and I was usually better than the drummers we had to so I figured it was time to switch instruments. Then I started doing snare drum in high school band. So yeah I know all my rudiments and whatnot but most of my ability comes from playing in bands. I think hearing Sepultura 'Arise' is honestly the reason I thought drums were better or as good as guitar. That's what made me give up on trying to be a guitar hero.

13.Who would you say are your influences and favorite drummers?Do you currently play any other instruments or are their any instruments you would like to learn to play?
Brad: My top influences for death metal drumming are the same they always have been. #1 Dave Culross, #2 Flo Mounier. Now I'd add Nils Fjellstrom to that list. Beyond death metal I love Danny Carey, John Bonham, Dave Grohl, Will Hunt, Ray Luzier, Matt Cameron, Reed Mullin, Joey Jordison, Anup Sastry. Huge into powerful rock drummers lately.

14.Thank you Brad for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Brad: Thank you! Stay siqq.


Brad Fincher

Band Contacts
https://devourment.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DevourmentOfficial
https://twitter.com/DevourmentBand