Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Interview with Sculpted Horror done by Patrick posted on 7-17-19

Interview with Tim Rowland vocalist.instruments done for Sculpted Horror  done by Patrick

1.Hello Tim  how are you doing this week? Please introduce yourself to the readers?
Doing well. I’m Tim, the guy behind Sculpted Horror. I’m also involved with several other bands or solo acts such as Lothric, Woccon, Primal Gore, and Bellkeeper. 

2.When did you first discover death metal and who were the first bands you listened to? Who are some of your current favorite bands?
I discovered death metal when I was around 16, so about 14 or 15 years ago. A friend and coworker at a grocery store job I had back then, introduced me to Death. I was sold instantly. Especially the later albums in their discography like Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance. Starting primarily as a drummer those albums were mind blowing to me. I next discovered what is still my favorite death metal band to this day, Morbid Angel. Their albums Domination and Gateways to Annihilation were a huge influence on my younger years. Current death metal bands I’m really into would be this new wave of grimey old school stuff like, Undergang, Tomb Mold, Cerebral Rot, Fetid, Outer Heaven, etc. I could go on forever with those new bands. I also listen to a lot of black metal and nerdy ass stuff like dungeon synth. 

3.Tim you started Sculpted Horror  2018 what gave you the idea to start this band?And how did you choose the name for this band?
I was definitely inspired by the new demo tape era of osdm. I really just wanted to be a part of the excitement and put out a tape of my own. The name was settled on after a rocky start of name choosing adhd. I just liked the two words together. It was a way of describing a twisted mass of horror in imagination. It also kinda implies that creating the music is a way of sculpting horror. I don’t know. It just worked. 

4.For the readers who have not heard Sculpted Horror  yet how would you best describe the musicial style?Who would you say are the bands biggest influences?
Gross and grimey, thick and seeping old school shit. For the sound of Sculpted Horror, older stuff like Demilich and Autopsy were a driving force of inspiration, as well as newer bands like Undergang. 

5.Festering Death is the debut demo which is getting released through Redefining Darkness Rec. when did you first come in contact with this label?
I guess I was kinda discovered by Thomas, the dude behind Redefining Darkness, through him browsing music. He just stumbled on the demo and messaged me that he would be interested in working together in some form. Of course, I was well aware of the label beforehand as he’s released music from bands I dig, so that was a plus.

6.How long did it take to write the music for the debut demo?How long would you say it takes to complete one song?
I can’t quite remember how long it took, but if I were to guess, somewhere around a week. It was really fast. I got a guitar tone dialed in and started hammering away riffs to start. As for a song in this style, I mean, anywhere from a day to a few. It comes easy if the sound is right and that’s what makes it so fun to write and play. 

7.Besides the Festering Death release does the band have any other merchandise currently available for the readers to purchase? If yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?
The demo tape in both incarnations is the only physical thing available. 

8.Tim you are the sole member of the band would you like to find more musicians to work with or do you prefer to work alone? If you had the opportunity to work with any musicians{past or present} who are some musicians you would like to work with?
Over the years I’ve played with many bands and musicians. As I get older I definitely enjoy just going my own way. It’s nice to not need anyone to record an album and it’s more fun to me. I like being in control of all the ideas from art, to performance, to production. It’s freeing and empowering. As for musicians to work with, I’d have some dumb answer like Prince or David Bowie. Haha But related to this genre, probably Trey Azagthoth. I’d like to understand his direction of composition and riff writing more closely. It’s unique in the death metal world for sure.

9.What do you feel is the easiest and hardest part about being a one man band?
The easiest part is that I can just do whatever I want without the possibility of conflicting ideas. The hardest part would be playing live, because you kinda need other folks for that to work. Haha.

10.Have you started working on new music for the next demo or would you like to try to release a full length? How many songs will be on the next release or have you thought that far ahead?
I have about 6 or 7 songs sitting as scratch tracks and tabs for whatever I decide to do next. I was planning on doing a full length, but sometimes I get the urge to stay in this demo tape direction. Who knows? My opinions change constantly so I don’t even know. I’ll just follow the inspiration where it takes me. 

11.Sculpted Horror comes out of Georgia's death metal scene what is your opinion of the scene in your town and state?
In my town, Athens, there is a small metal scene bubbling, but not so much in any of the styles I’m accustomed to or interested in. Atlanta has a more powerful death and black metal scene that’s growing for sure though. This state could be much much better and hopefully it will be in time. There’s probably one good metal band out of every twenty shitty ones. I’m sure that’s nothing unique to this scene though. 

12.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Georgia and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?
I don’t know about “all time” because there probably isn’t one for me. Mastodon maybe?  
Vimur is an up and coming black metal band from Atlanta that’s rad. 

13.When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?
Play video games for sure. Read world history related stuff. And of course, be with my wife. That’s where my current headspace is at. 

14.Besides working in  Sculpted Horror I believe you play with other bands and projects please tell the readers a little about these?
I have a dorky ass dungeon synth project about the Dark Souls series called Bellkeeper. It’s so much fun to make. I have a black metal solo project that’s fairly new called Lothric. Just finished a full length follow up to an ep I released earlier this year. I also play in the melo-doom band Woccon that’s kinda on a small hiatus after losing an entire album of recorded material due to a hardware failure. I also shat out a Jungle Rot style, meat and potatoes death metal ep from another solo deal, Primal Gore, earlier this year as well. Probably more solo projects to come and less bands. Some fading out and some coming in. I just follow where inspiration takes me.

15.Thank you Tim for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
Thanks for whatever support has been shown for Sculpted Horror or any of my other things. It means a lot that people enjoy whatever crazy ideas I shit out. Nothing but motivation to keep shitting.
Band Contacts
Label Contacts