Thursday, August 2, 2018

Interview with Nachtfrost done by Patrick posted on 8-2-18


1,Hails Orthanc how is life in Greece this week?Please introduce yourself to the readers?


Hello Patrick, everything’s finesummer vacation has given me lots of free time to practice and record new music. Im Orthanc (George Kalogirou) and I play guitar and write music for my band Nachtfrost

2.When did you first become interested in writing and playing music?What was the first instrument you learned to play?

I started to play the piano when I was around 12 years old because I was really into video game music (the only kind of music I listened to at the time) later I started getting into Metal, and as you know I wanted to learn guitar it took around 5 years for me to actually buy a guitar and start learning.

3.What are all the instruments you can play at this time?And if you had the chance what are some instruments you would like to learn to play one day?

At the moment I play guitar and piano. For the time being I don’t want to learn any new instrument, I just want to get as good as I can in the instruments I already play. But if I had a chance in the future I think the violin or the saxophone would be my choices

4.What gave you the idea to start the band Nachtfrost?Does the band name Nachtfrost have a special meaning?

When I was 15 I started to really get into raw black metal and wanted to start a band, I didn’t know guitar at the time so a friend of mine knew a little so we released a demo with him in guitar and me on vocals and keyboards, the demo was pretty bad in my opinion so its no longer available as I believe it doesn’t represent nor Nachtfrost nor me as an artist anymore. As for the band name it was a simple name that as far as I knew no band had at the time so Nachtfrost it is.

5.What is the current line up of Nachtfrost and who would you say are the bands biggest influences?

At the time of the interview consists of:


Me (Orthanc,George): Guitar,Songwritter
Nick: Second Guitar
Ares: Vocals

Dimitris: Bass
Odysseas: Drums

For the first EP I think the Dissection influence is pretty obvious, I wanted to revive that sound after all. But as of the new stuff I think im heading towards more of a melodic (maybe even progressive at times) death metal vibe with some black metal influences

6.Spectral Domains Of Dusk is the debut EP.which was released through Lower Silesian Stronghold how did you come in contact with this label?
Nothing special. I was just looking for a label to release the EP in a cd format and found about these guys. Got in contact with them and we made a great deal. Im 100% satisfied with their part in the cd release.

7.Orthanc I believe you handle writing all the music for the band how long does it usually take you to finish writing one song?

Really depends.But for most of the time two months, but including recording,changing stuff to fit in the song structure etc I would say it takes about three months to write a song in full, but then again it might take less.

8.Besides the new release Spectral Domains Of Dusk are the bands previous demo's still available for the readers to purchase?Besides the debut release does the band have any other merchandise availabe if yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?



Im afraid no at the moment the only merchandise we have is the CD, as I said all the previous demos are completely deleted and its better to forget about them.

9.I believe the lyrics are based around occultism and Satanism when did you first become interested in studying these subjects?Would you consider yourself a Satanist or just anti religion?

Since the time I started getting into Metal actually,but didn’t went really deep into it until I was 18.(about a year before realeasing the EP). Although I’m highly interested in the spiritual subjects of Satanism and the occult through the different cultures of the world I wouldn’t consider myself a Satanist, though that may change in the near future

10.Who are some occultist and Satanist you like to studying?Besides these subjects do you like to read or study any other subjects?



The only Satanic grimoire I have read is “Liber Azerate” not in depth yet though. For other subjects I really like dark fiction like Lovecraft (obviously) and epic “religious” poetry such as John Milton’s Paradise Lost.

11.What does black metal mean to you?



I believe Black Metal can be a serious art (and I don’t mean that in the hipster way),I really love when bands use real technical ability and music knowledge to create their albums I’m talking about bands like Dissection,Emperor,Thulcandra,Stortregn (really underated band),Abigor and for some of the few Greek bands I like Thy Darkned Shade and Acherontas.

12.Besides Nachtfrost do you currently work with any other bands or solo projects?
No I don’t

13.Orthanc thank you for taking time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?



Thanks for having me here Patrick, new better stuff are coming soon and we are preparing for live appearances too, expect more from Nachtfrost in the near future!!!

                                                            Band  Contacts
                                                          https://www.facebook.com/nachtfrost6/?fref=ts
                                                           https://nachtfrost.bandcamp.com/releases
                                                             Label Contacts
                                                       http://www.trueunderground.cba.pl/