Friday, January 29, 2021

Interview with Nick owner of Funeral Hymns Rec. done on 1-29-21



.1.Hello Nick please introduce yourself to the readers?

Hi Patrick,First, I’d like to thank you for interest of Funeral Hymns Records. 

My name is Nick I am the person behind Funeral Hymns Records. My passion is death metal but I enjoy black, doom and thrash metal as well.

2.When did you first discover metal music and who were the first bands you listened to? Who are some of the current bands and artists that have caught your attention?

I discovered death metal when I was 13 years old. My first touch to this genre were bands like Benediction, Gorefest, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Sepultura and Slayer of course.

After the albums like Transcend the Rubicon (Benediction) and False (Gorefest) I was hooked up for live.

The new death, black, doom and thrash metal scene is very interesting and I can compare it to the one that we had during 90s.Some bands that I really like are Gatecreeper, Expunged, Necrot and many more.

3.Nick what have been some of the most memorable concerts that you have had the opportunity to witness over the years? Who are some of your favorite bands to watch live?

Here in Canada, we are lucky to be able to see so many grate bands.

One of the best memories probably is from the Tomb Mold and Bleeding Out concert. I remember this was organised as a birthday party for the Bleeding Out’s guitarist. There were no more than 40 people and the atmosphere was great.Some of the killer live bands that I have witnessed are Kataklism, Gorguts, Outre Tombe, Katatonia, Nile, Krisun, Vader.

4.What gave you the idea to start a label and are you satisfied with how things are going so far with it? How did you choose Funeral Hymns Rec. as the name for the label?

I am originally from Bulgaria and before I moved to Canada, I was a member of the Bulgarian death metal act - UnHumanity. In Canada, I didn’t have a chance to connect with other people either to start a new band or to join a band. But I still wanted to be connected to the scene and more specifically to be able to support the Bulgarian underground. My real passion are the vinyl records, so that’s why I decided my first release to be on vinyl and to be a band that I knew and liked. That’s how Dark Incognito’s second album came out as my first release.

Releasing records is very expensive endeavour and shortly after my second vinyl release, I decided to proceed with audio cassettes. So far, I have released almost 30 titles. My first official CD release is now in production.The label’s name came up to me as thinking of how I could summarize the music that I like and would like to release as a label, and Funeral Hymns fit perfectly.

5.Do you run the label by yourself or do you have some friends that help you out with the label? How many hours a day would you say you work on label business?

Yes, it’s only me. I don’t spend enough time for the label if I have to me honest. I have full time job and family so the label is a hobby. The only time that I dedicate is a few hours during weekends.

6.What are some of your current releases that the readers can purchase? What are some bands you will be releasing in 2021?

My latest releases are the newest Valgrind album as well as Nemesis – The War is On, VHS – Gore From Beyond The Space, Evil Incarnate – Depopulation Agenda, Hak-Ed Damm – Nekrowristfucked

The upcoming release for now is the Mortiferoth and Mass Cremation split on CD. On cassette I am working on 3 new releases which are not 100% confirmed, so I’d rather not say anything for now.

7. Are you currently looking for new bands to sign and release or is the roster full for this year? What are some things you look for when signing and releasing a band?

I prefer to work with bands which music I really like. Most of the time I contact the bands that I like asking them if they ‘d like to work with me, but I review all the bands’ requests that I get.

8.Do you usually trade with other labels and distro's or do you prefer to buy wholesale? If there are any labels or distro's reading this what styles of metal do you carry in your distro and how can they get in touch with you about trades?

Yes, I mainly trade with other labels. I think this is the best way for distribution. I am always open for trade offers.

The best way to contact with me is through my facebook page or to email me directly at funeralhymns@yahoo.com

9.What does Underground Metal mean to you?

Underground metal is my passion. I love discovering good bands. I feel happy to contribute to the underground as much as I can.

10.Nick you live in the great country of Canada what is your opinion of Canada's metal scene over the years?

Yes! Canada is one of the best countries when we talk about extreme metal.I recently have released multiple Canadian bands and I am really proud of that.Some of them are Expunged – killer old school death metal, VHS – Gore grind horror band,Hak-ed Damm – war black metal band from Quebec and Aepoch which are one of the best among technical death metal bands. The Canadian scene now is really strong and we have bands like Tomb Mold, Outre Tombe, Fumes, Gutvoid, Altered Dead and many more.

11.Who are your all-time favorite Canadian bands and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out soon?

My all-time favourite Canadian band is Gorguts. I already mentioned some Canadian bands but I can always add more. Votov for example is a killer new band as well as Cryophilic.

12.When you need to take a break from working on label business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I don’t have too much free time but maybe listening to music and hiking are my favorite things.

13.Since 2020 has just ended what would you say were your ten favorite releases of the last year?

As I huge Benediction fan I must say that this is Benediction – Scripture. But I have to be honest 2020 was a great year for death metal and not only. Testament for example or Undeath – what an album.

14.Thank you Nick for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?

Thanks again for the great interview.I would like to thank to everyone who has supported the label and all the bands that I work with. Stay brutal and keep the underground alive!Cheers!                                    Label Contacts                                                                                                                                              https://funeralhymns.storenvy.com/fbclid=IwAR0rB6YF3T0GBWktfUkpGAXBDIREosmlzuC5GBq2_s_1PXkTNk9dNK3VFpg             

 https://www.facebook.com/FuneralHymnsRecords