Sunday, October 27, 2019

Interview with Matt Guitarist and vocalist of Sentient Horror done by Patrick posted on 10-25-19

Interview with Matt Guitarist and vocalist of Sentient Horror done by Patrick

1.Hello Matt  how are you doing this week?Please introduce yourself  to the readers?

Hey everyone! Everything is going well here.

2.When did you first start listening to death metal music and who were the first bands you heard?Who are some of your current favorite bands?

I think the first old school band I properly listened to was Death. I started with Sound of Perseverance and worked backwards. After that it was Carcass, Gorefest, and then eventually the Stockholm scene with Entombed and Dismember. I was into the Polish bands for a while at the beginning, like Vader and Decapitated, but I don’t listen to them so much anymore. My current favorites are still the classics as I mentioned, Death and Carcass, but another big favorite is Edge of Sanity. But if you mean current as in newer bands, I really enjoyed the last Necrot and Gatecreeper records.

3.Matt you started Sentient Horror 2014 when did you first get the idea to start this band?How did you choose Sentient Horror as the name of the band?

Well, we were originally called “Sentience” but after we were signed to Testimony Records, they discovered another band named Sentience and asked us to change it, so I thought “Sentient Horror” was a good modification. It retained some of the original name, and also maybe sounded a bit more “death metal” anyway. 


4.For the readers who have never heard Sentient Horror's music how would you best describe the band musicial style?Who would you say are the bands biggest influences?

I would just say we are an old school Death Metal band, but of course that can mean a lot of different things these days. I would say our main death metal influences are the early Stockholm bands, like Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, etc. mid-era Carcass, early Death, and Edge of Sanity, maybe a bit of Gorefest. I think if you mixed all that together, its a good idea of what Sentient Horror sounds like!

5.Morbid Realms is the bands second full length release how long did it take to write the music for the new release?How long would you say it usually takes to complete one song?


I think I got the bulk of the songwriting done in just a few months, maybe four months total, if you account for some weeks I took off here and there, plus we went on tour towards the end of the writing. I read in an interview with Blakkheim from Bloodbath that he feels good death metal should be very spontaneous and not over-thought, so I took that to heart and try to write the riffs as fast as possible. If I feel it right away I keep it, if I don’t, I throw it out. I think the average song takes me a week to finish everything, and that is just writing in my spare time.

6.Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some topics written about on the new release?Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics?

I write all of the lyrics and I write 90% of the music (sometimes our rhythm guitarist Jon sends me some riffs to use). As usual, the lyrics are horror themed, but this time around there are a few more that sit more in the otherworldly realm, as I was reading some Clive Barker and HP Lovecraft for inspiration. The music comes first, then the song titles. Then I match the song titles I came up with to what I think fits best musically, and I write the rest of the lyrics from there.


7.Besides the upcoming Morbid Realms release is the debut release still available for the readers to purchase?Besides physical releases does the band have any other merchandise currently available if yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?


I think Ungodly Forms is still available on CD from both Testimony Records in Europe and Redefining Darkness in the US, but as far as I know, the vinyl is all sold out. We also have some t shirts, long sleeves, and patches, but again, you will need to see what stock our labels’ websites have. Or come see us live and buy directly from us at a show!

8.Has  Sentient Horror played very many live shows over the years?What have been some of the bands most memorable shows over the years?Who have been some of your most favorite bands that you have gotten to share the stage with?

Yeah, regionally we were doing roughly one show a month, around the northeast US, and then we did a two-week tour of central Europe last October with our Testimony Records label-mates Carnal Tomb. I’d say most of my most memorable shows we did were on that tour, I think my favorite being the one we did in Hamburg. That might have been the largest crowd we’ve ever played for that were there specifically to see us. The Carnal Tomb guys were super cool to tour with, and I feel like we made some friends for life there. Theres a few bands I really like playing with around the Northeast. I really liked playing with Scorched, Horrendous, and I really like doing shows with the grind band Die Choking.

9.Are their any tours or shows planned in support of the new release if yes where will the band be playing?


No tour planned yet, but we are working on shows in the NYC/NJ area to support the release.

10.What does Underground Metal mean to you?


The true spirit of metal. Metal’s roots, specifically extreme metal, are in the underground. It’s not supposed to be for everyone, and it’s not supposed to be easy listening. But when its done well, it can be a very complex, deep, and sophisticated art form.

11.When you need you take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?

I really enjoy spending time with my wife, watching movies, I’ll play some video games (I just started up the HD Resident Evil remake for Halloween month), and of course, I still play tons of guitar. I try to practice somewhere between 2 and 3 hours a day.

12. Sentient Horror comes out of New Jerseys death metal scene what is your opinion of New Jersey's death metal scene?


To be honest, I don’t really pay attention that much, unless we are gigging. There are a lot of bands that do the slam/brutal thing in NJ, and we don’t really fit in with that crowd. There are some really cool bands we’ve played with though, like Sapremia from South Jersey, I think those guys are awesome, and legit old school.

13.Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of New Jersey and are their any new bands you feel the readers should watch out for?


My guitar-nerd side is going to show with this answer, but it would have to be Symphony X. As far as newer bands… not specifically from NJ, but in general, the bands I’ve mentioned earlier: Necrot, Gatecreeper, Scorched, Horrendous, Carnal Tomb, those are some of my favorite newer death metal bands to listen to.


14.Matt you handle the vocals for the band when did you first start singing and growling?Do you do anything special to keep your voice and throat healthy?


I started doing growls just for fun, like in the car, sort of a “lets see if I can do this” type of thing, and then I just got better and better at it. Nowadays, I do a 12 minute warm up every time I do vocals, no exceptions. I got it from the DVD Zen of Screaming, and I attribute that to keeping my voice in good shape.

15.Who are some of your favorite vocalists?

If we are talking Death Metal (in no order): Dan Swanö, John Tardy, Martin Van Drunen, Mikael Akerfeldt, Matti Karki, LG Petrov, Jan-Chris De Koeijer, Chuck Schuldiner, Jeff Walker. If we are just talking metal singers in general, then Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Jeff Scott Soto, Jill Janus, Warrel Dane, King Diamond, Mats Leven, Robin McAuley…

16.Besides the vocals you also handle the guitars when did you first become interested in playing the guitars?Are you self taught or did you take lessons when you first starting out?

I’ve been playing guitar since I was 13. I had some lessons when I started, but for metal technique, I am mostly self taught in my formative years, but I also had private lessons from Joe Stump during my two semesters at Berklee.

17.Who are your influences and favorite guitarists?Besides the vocals and guitars do you currently play any other instruments?Are their any instruments that you would like to learn one day?

Its of course changed a bit through the course of my life, but these days I’d say, in no order: Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker, Bill Steer, Chuck Schuldiner, Andy Larocque, Vinnie Moore, and Marty Friedman would be the main ones I am currently inspired by the most.

18.Thank you Matt for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?


Thanks for reading the interview, and don’t forget to check out “Morbid Realms” on November 29th!!