Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Interview with Hiverna done by Patrick done on 8-5-14

Hello  hope  everyone's  week  is   starting  out  good?  Here  is  a  new  interview  with Canada's  Hiverna  who  has  just  released  their  second  cd  "IIMacabre"  the  band  does  a great  job  of  mixing  extreme  metal  and  folkish  elements. so  if  you  enjoy  these  styles  then  definitely  give  the  Hiverna  a   listen.
Regards
Patrick




Interview   with  Bardunor   vocalist,guitarist  for   Hiverna   done  by   Patrick



 
1.Hello    Bardunor    when  did  you  first  become  interested  in  playing  music? What  was  the  first  instrument  you  learned to  play?


 I got into music in high-school when I got my first electric guitar. That’s when I started to create.




2.When did  you  get  the  idea to form  Hiverna? How  did you  come  up  with  the  name  for  the   project? For  the  reader's  who  have  never heard  Hiverna's music  how  would  you  describe  it?


Hiver means winter in French. This beautiful freezing season takes a big part of our years, here, in the north. The whole concept of snowy landscapes and frozen trees always stuck to the music that got out of my head. I would describe Hiverna as a blend between extreme northern music and Quebec’s folkloric music of old. 





 3.Hiverna   has  just  released  their  second  cd  "II Macabre"  how  long  did  it  take  you  to  write  the  music  for  the  new  release? Where  do  you  draw  inspiration  for  the  lyrics?




 I.Folklore and II.Macabre were both written between 2003 and 2006. At the time, I hadn’t the resources I needed to record and produce my music as I wanted it to be. Therefore, Hiverna became real much later. Hiverna is a project that reflects nature and the old ways, ideologically disagreeing with most of the choices made by modern man. Inspiration comes from the mountains, rivers and deep old forests.



4.  "IIMacabre   is  a  self released  cd  are  you   looking  for  a  label  or  do  you   prefer  to  keep  the  band  independent?How  has  the   response  been  from  the  fans? what  about  the  press?


 I’m used to do things myself and without constraints. My work now grows under a name: Oaken Forge. Though it’s not an industrial label, it gives me the opportunity to structure my released items under a single sigil. I must say I never was keen to do mass promo and such so I was amazed by the positive global response to Macabre on the Internet. Thanks to all the webzines and reviewers for the help!



5.Bardunor  how  do  you  feel   Hiverna's  music  has  changed   over  the   years?



As the music for Hiverna was written in my High-School years, all it got from aging (before it was released) was add-ons of some leads, some flute lines, some experimental sprees. The ideas and the core music stayed the same. As for the albums, I think the major change was the sound, which, in my opinion, got better on II.Macabre.





6. Hiverna  comes   out  of  the   Canadian  metal  scene  what  is  your   opinion  of  Canada's  metal  scene?


 Let’s say we are a little family. You have to understand that in Quebec, metal isn’t really carved in the traditions and global interests of the people. Our scene is much more alive out of our homeland.


7.Who   are  your  all time  favorite  Canadian  bands? Are  their  any  new  bands  you   feel  the  readers  should  check  out?



 I’d say Patrick Watson band. Amazing music. For the metal genre, I’d go for Martyr and old Cryptopsy. As for new projects, I’d tell you to check out Acedia from Quebec.




8. Bardunor   you   handle  the  vocals  for  the  band  when  did  you  first  become  interested  in  singing/growling?  Do  you  do  anything  special   to  keep  your  voice/throat  healthy?


 It may sound odd but I have to admit growling always came naturally for me. It began near the age of 12, when I realized I could imitate the vocalist of Dying Fetus. (I was more into Death Metal music at the time… teenagers)




9. Bardunor    are  you  or  any  of  the  members  of  Hiverna   currently   working  with  other  bands  or  solo  projects?


 For now, Froidure is travelling across the globe and Doom and me are thinking of maybe building a new live line-up for Hiverna for 2015. As for solo projects, you can go listen to Crépuscule (atmospheric/black metal), Demain Wendigo (Folk/Acoustic soundscape) and Ours (dark experimental music). 




10.When   not  working    on  band  music  or  promotion   what  do  you  enjoy  doing  in your   spare  time?


I am a teacher in Maths and Ethics in a northern school. I also do paintings, professional photography, writing, and I spend a lot of time in the forest.



11.Bardunor     thank  you  for  taking  the  time to  fill  out  this  interview.Do  you  have  any  final   comments  for  the   readers?


Thanks to you and all MNQ fans for the support. Remember you aren’t the center of the world, have yourself a good life and a good death.


Band  Contact  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hiverna/316806873027